FedEx Express Launches Carbon-Neutral Shipping
FedEx Express will make an investment in global projects that displace or sequester greenhouse gas emissions from the atmosphere, neutralizing the impacts of the carbon emissions emitted during the shipment of all FedEx Envelopes around the world.
FedEx Express will calculate the emissions on an annual basis and buy the equivalent amount of carbon dioxide offsets from the not-for-profit BP Target Neutral, which invests in low carbon development and conservation projects. These projects include a biogas farm facility in the Netherlands, a reforestation project in the Tanzanian Southern Highlands that is converting degraded grassland to commercial forest, and a landfill gas collection system at Thailand’s first sanitary landfill.
FedEx says the commitment makes it the first global express transportation company to offer carbon-neutral envelope shipping at no extra charge to the customer. In February, logistics company DPD announced plans to move to completely carbon-neutral shipping, at no extra cost to customers, in its five largest markets. The company’s France, Germany, U.K., Netherlands and BeLux markets will enjoy carbon-neutral shipping in July, with the rest of its markets following suit later on.
FedEx says it became the first company in the U.S. transportation industry to set a global aviation-related CO2 reduction goal and a commercial vehicle fuel efficiency goal, in 2008. By the end of FY2011, aircraft carbon dioxide emissions had declined by 13.8 percent compared to 2005 levels. FedEx Express has improved total fleet miles per gallon within the U.S. by more than 16 percent since 2005, the company says.
In addition, FedEx has six solar installations with a capacity of more than 6 MW, the company says.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Technology Creates a Brighter Future for Small and Mid-Sized Commercial Solar Investments
- Incentive Program Helps Companies Afford Energy Managers
- ARPA-E Issues Grants for Solar Modules
- C-PACE Financing Innovation to Help Connecticut Green Energy Sector
- Orion Wins School District Contracts, Increases Chances for Incentives
- Study: Smartest ‘Smart Building’ Owners Come from Retail, Manufacturing, Construction
- Low Cost IoT Solutions, Data Driven Analytics to Propel Energy Mgmt Market
- A Clean Energy Future in Sight