FedEx Express Launches Carbon-Neutral Shipping
FedEx Express will make an investment in global projects that displace or sequester greenhouse gas emissions from the atmosphere, neutralizing the impacts of the carbon emissions emitted during the shipment of all FedEx Envelopes around the world.
FedEx Express will calculate the emissions on an annual basis and buy the equivalent amount of carbon dioxide offsets from the not-for-profit BP Target Neutral, which invests in low carbon development and conservation projects. These projects include a biogas farm facility in the Netherlands, a reforestation project in the Tanzanian Southern Highlands that is converting degraded grassland to commercial forest, and a landfill gas collection system at Thailand’s first sanitary landfill.
FedEx says the commitment makes it the first global express transportation company to offer carbon-neutral envelope shipping at no extra charge to the customer. In February, logistics company DPD announced plans to move to completely carbon-neutral shipping, at no extra cost to customers, in its five largest markets. The company’s France, Germany, U.K., Netherlands and BeLux markets will enjoy carbon-neutral shipping in July, with the rest of its markets following suit later on.
FedEx says it became the first company in the U.S. transportation industry to set a global aviation-related CO2 reduction goal and a commercial vehicle fuel efficiency goal, in 2008. By the end of FY2011, aircraft carbon dioxide emissions had declined by 13.8 percent compared to 2005 levels. FedEx Express has improved total fleet miles per gallon within the U.S. by more than 16 percent since 2005, the company says.
In addition, FedEx has six solar installations with a capacity of more than 6 MW, the company says.
Energy Manager News
- Three Trends Align to Save Buildings Millions in Energy Costs
- Law Bars Energy Providers from Charging Early Termination Fees in the Event of Death
- Corporations Spend Big on Ballot Initiatives, Crushing Ratepayer Opposition
- Texas Retailer Offers Instant Rebate for Rooftop Solar, Offers High Credits for Excess Solar
- Local, State and the Federal Government Excel at Energy Efficiency
- CA, MA Tie for ACEEE Top Spot
- Integrated Dimmer/LED from Energy Focus
- In Duluth, This Month’s Utility Bills Include a Little Something Extra