Honda Green Dealer Program Targets 10% Energy Cuts
The Honda Environmental Leadership Award and Acura Environmental Leadership Award will be given to dealers who quantifiably reduce their environmental impact.
The program offers three achievement levels – Silver, Gold, and Platinum. Silver-level dealers must achieve a 10 percent reduction in total energy use, develop a water use reduction plan and implement a comprehensive recycling program. Gold-level dealers must achieve continuous improvement in their reduction and conservation goals above and beyond the Silver level.
The top-level Platinum award is reserved for dealers whose facilities earn LEED certification from the U.S. Green Building Council. The required 10 percent energy reduction is in line with the EPA’s Energy Star Award and the National Automobile Dealers Association program, Honda says.
Some 10 dealers have already received an award, 18 more have applied to be in the program, and more than 200 dealers have independently developed initiatives to reduce their environmental impact, Honda says. The one Platinum-level winner so far is Headquarter Honda in Clermont, Fla.
Honda is not the first car company to extend environmental performance targets to its dealers. In October last year, Nissan announced plans to cut CO2 by 20 percent and increase its fuel economy by 35 percent. Nissan said it would meet the carbon goal by widening the scope of facilities covered by targets, to include dealerships, logistics, and offices in addition to production sites.
Energy Manager News
- Better Buildings, Better Plants: 12 Success Stories
- CA Governor Signs Bill Clarifying PACE Disclosures
- CA School District to Get 73% of Energy From Solar Carports
- Two Critical Questions to Ask Yourself About Your Current Energy Contract
- Pepco and Exelon Say Customers Have Benefitted$440 Million Since Merger
- ICC Issues Stringent Consumer Protection Rules For Retail Electric Suppliers
- Tesla’s Battery Storage Device Put to Use. Time to Exhale?
- Variable Speed Drives are a Powerful Efficiency Tool