Lush Cosmetics Taps the Cloud to Track Its Carbon Footprint
CloudApps‘ Sustainability Suite will organize data collection and improve Lush’s sustainability reporting, helping it to better manage its sustainability goals, make carbon savings and reduce operational costs, the companies say. Lush will use the software to track and analyze measurements on water and energy use, travel, waste generation and packaging across all 102 of its stores, eight main offices and eight factory sites in the UK.
Data from Lush’s financials, QAD manufacturing system and Qlikview analytics for shop-specific sales data will feed into the CloudApps software. The desktop application allows staff to see their own environmental impact as well as that of their team. Staff can use the application to suggest actions to reduce that impact.
CloudApps is delivered by theForce.com cloud platform run by Salesforce.com.
Lush has worked to reduce its environmental impact by recycling 85 percent of its waste, retrofitting retail shops to improve energy efficiency, banning domestic flights and installing renewable energy systems. Sixty-two percent of the company’s products are designed to be package free. Handmade products that do require packaging use 100 percent recycled material. Lush tries to cut down on waste by encouraging customers to return used containers to their shops, along with plastic bottle tops, which are recycled internally.
A growing number of companies are using CloudApps to not only track the environmental footprint of their business, but of their employees as well. Last year, a number of U.K.-based companies used CloudApps software to track staffers’ carbon footprints and use the information to determine bonuses. The software emphasizes employees’ recycling and energy consumption habits.
Energy Manager News
- Don’t Write Off Energy Efficiency. It’s Just about to Have Its Day.
- 44 Companies Apply to Manage OSU Energy
- ASHRAE High-Performance Building Design Professional Certification Earns ANSI Accreditation
- Energy Management Targets Commercial Real Estate
- Home Depot Hires HVAC Provider for South Arizona Stores
- Voluntary Agreement Covers Energy of Home Internet Equipment
- Community Microgrids for a Sustainable Future – TEDx Talk
- Cree Restructures LED Business in Aggressive Pricing Environment