Ecolab Cuts Fuel Consumption by 22% Since 2006
The $11 billion provider of water, hygiene and energy technologies to the food, healthcare, hospitality, industrial and energy sectors won the award for a number of green milestones achieved between 2006 and 2011 with its U.S. fleet of 7,000 vehicles. These achievements included:
- An 18 percent improvement in average miles per gallon per vehicle.
- A 12 percent absolute reduction in GHG emissions.
- An 8 percent reduction in fuel consumed (1.4 million gallons) while the number of vehicles grew 1 percent and total miles driven increased nearly 9 percent.
Ecolab’s Director of Global Fleet Gayle Pratt says the company revised its fleet policies to acquire more fuel-efficient vehicles, focusing on EPA-certified SmartWay vehicles. It moved from large to intermediate to small vehicles, and from eight- to six- to four-cylinder engines whenever possible.
Fleet drivers also participate in surveys, eco-driver awareness and safety training, and provide continuous feedback via a fleet web portal.
In addition to the NAFA award, Ecolab has received other recognition for its sustainability initiatives. For using environmentally friendly manufacturing and operating procedures, the Coalition for Government Procurement gave it the 2011 Green Excellence in Partnership Award. The Carbon Disclosure Project named Ecolab to the 2011 Carbon Performance Leadership Index, awarding Ecolab a “Band A” rating for having a fully integrated climate change strategy. The organization also named Ecolab to the Carbon Disclosure Leadership Index for the second consecutive year, giving the company a score of 91 out of 100.
Pratt received the NAFA award April 21 on behalf of Ecolab’s fleet, during NAFA’s 2012 Institute and Expo being held in St. Louis, Mo.
Also at the Expo, fleet managers discussed alternative fuel vehicle grant funding and adoption rate predictions made for battery electric vehicles, plug-in electric vehicles, and hybrid electric vehicles.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Energy Storage in the Fast Lane
- Alberta Firm Aims for Energy Neutral Egg Laying Barn
- The Department of Energy Seeks to Improve the Better Buildings Challenge
- Behind the Meter: The Many Advantages of Energy Benchmarking
- Telecommunications Companies Upgrade Their Approaches to Energy
- Cutting Energy Use in Fire Stations
- Revolution Lighting Signs School Districts in NY, NJ
- Green Building Boom Is Pumping Billions into US Economy, Retrofits Are Fueling the Trend