GE Joins EPA’s WasteWise, SmartWay Initiatives
GE says it will reduce waste by processing refrigerator insulating foam and plastic through a UNTHA Recycling Technology system (pictured), which helps reduce refrigerators’ landfill waste by 85 percent by weight, from 55 pounds of landfill waste per refrigerator to less than eight. It will also recover appliance product materials that were previously landfilled, including plastics, circuit boards, glass and pelletized foam.
GE and the Appliance Recycling Centers of America have reduced the landfill waste of appliances processed at the Philadelphia-based ARCA Advanced Processing by about 318,000 pounds monthly, the appliance manufacturer says. Since April 2011, AAP has diverted 2.3 million pounds of plastics for recycling, according to GE.
In addition to reducing its landfill waste, GE has pledged to use more sustainable transportation when moving appliances from manufacturing operations to retailers and consumers. Of the 144 million miles or so that GE’s inbound appliance parts and appliances traveled in the US in 2010, 80 were with EPA-certified SmartWay carrier partners. The EPA collects emissions data and ranks SmartWay partners’ performance weekly.
In March, GE Appliances & Lighting won a 2011 Energy Star Award for Sustained Excellence. EPA recognized GE for several achievements including:
- Offering a total of 500 Energy Star lighting models, a 29 percent increase since 2010.
- Adding 93 new LED products since 2010.
- Introducing 140 new Energy Star appliances in 2011, while increasing the number of base models 17 percent over 2010.
Energy Manager News
- Energy Storage: It’s About the Software
- MIT Develops Promising New Battery Storage Technology
- India Launches Net-Zero Building Portal
- Companies Cooperating on Waste-to-Energy Projects
- Clean Energy Commitment in the Corporate and Local Small Business Sphere
- Xcel Asks for $90M ‘Switching Fee’ If Lubbock Utility Joins ERCOT
- EDF Sending 127 Climate Corps Fellows to 100 Organizations
- Capegemini, Siemens Working on Analytics Platform