IR’s uIPM Power Modules Deliver High Efficiency Motor Control Solution for Appliances, Light Industrial Apps
International Rectifier introduced a family of ultra-compact uIPM power modules for high efficiency appliance and light industrial applications including compressor drives for refrigeration, pumps for heating and water circulation, air-conditioning fans, dishwashers, and automation systems.
Available in an ultra-compact 12x12x0.9mm PQFN package, the uIPM family comprises a series of fully integrated 3-phase surface-mount motor control circuit solutions. This new approach utilizes PCB copper traces to dissipate heat from the module, providing cost savings through a smaller package design and even eliminating the need for an external heat sink, according to the company. By using standard packaging QFN technology, assembly is simplified by eliminating through-hole second pass assembly and improving thermal performance compared to traditional dual-in-line module solutions.
By utilizing an innovative packaging solution, the uIPM family offers up to a 60 percent smaller footprint than existing 3-phase motor control power ICs and also delivers advantages in output current capability and system efficiency, says Alberto Guerra, VP of strategic market development, IR’s Energy Saving Products Business Unit, adding that this lets designers and system integrators deliver more cost effective and advanced motor control solutions.
IR’s uIPM product family features rugged and efficient high-voltage FredFET MOSFET switches specifically optimized for variable frequency drives and IR’s most advanced high-voltage driver ICs. The uIPM product family offers DC current ratings ranging from 2A to 4A and voltages of 250V and 500V.
Energy Manager News
- Energy-as-a-Service: Charting a Path Through Complexity
- Demand Energy, EnerSys Complete Storage Project
- Lunera Intros Pathway and Entryway LED
- FPL to Buy and Phase Out Coal-Powered Plant, Saving Customers $129M
- Environmental, Health and Safety Software Moves Forward
- Johnson Controls: Interest, Investment in Energy Efficiency Up
- First-Ever Statewide Endorsement of Retail Supplier, by Delaware, Goes to Direct Energy
- Oberlin, Ohio, Ratepayers to Receive $2.2M in Rebates for Sale of RECs