GE Steam Cycle Solution Improves Performance for Power Plant Boilers
GE Intelligent Platforms has updated its Steam Cycle Control solution approach beyond the boiler control by adding boiler and turbine auxiliary equipment control strategies. This reduces the need for operator intervention, stabilizing steam production. This leads to consistent operations, thereby reducing thermal stresses on the boiler and turbine and extending their life cycles, according to the company.
Steam plant operators are looking for control solutions that will help them to optimize boiler efficiency by reducing fuel consumption while reducing emissions. GE Intelligent Platforms meets these needs for plants under 300MW with control solutions in steam cycle generation management that can reduce fuel usage while allowing boilers to run safely and efficiently, GE Intelligent Platforms says.
Steam Cycle control solution is based on a flexible and scalable distributed control system (DCS), Proficy Process Systems, along with productized pre-packaged advanced combustion control algorithms and strategies for fossil and biomass fuels. These combustion control algorithms and strategies optimize the combustion process to reduce customers’ fuel usage 3 percent to 5 percent, which allows them to better meet stringent emissions regulations. In addition, they keep equipment safe and protected by maintaining the water level in the boiler to prevent damage. Because these control algorithms and strategies are pre-engineered, they are capable of reducing system implementation time by 50 percent to 80 percent.
GE Intelligent Platforms’ DCS is “an open system that works with any type of boiler and can be implemented during a short maintenance outage leading to the realization of rapid fuel and water savings,” says Bill Pezalla, global energy industry manager for GE Intelligent Platforms.
Energy Manager News
- Better Buildings, Better Plants: 12 Success Stories
- CA Governor Signs Bill Clarifying PACE Disclosures
- CA School District to Get 73% of Energy From Solar Carports
- Two Critical Questions to Ask Yourself About Your Current Energy Contract
- Pepco and Exelon Say Customers Have Benefitted$440 Million Since Merger
- ICC Issues Stringent Consumer Protection Rules For Retail Electric Suppliers
- Tesla’s Battery Storage Device Put to Use. Time to Exhale?
- Variable Speed Drives are a Powerful Efficiency Tool