Standards & Compliance Briefing: ZigBee, EMAS, ISO 14001, LEED
The ZigBee Alliance says there are now more than 500 ZigBee certified products available to the market, a 60 percent increase since August 2011. This makes ZigBee – designed for monitoring, controlling and automating the delivery and smart use of energy and water – among the most widely-used IEEE 802.15.4 technologies, the alliance said.
Lufthansa CityLine said that it has successfully certified for compliance with the ISO 14001 international environmental management standard as well as the European Eco-Management and Audit Scheme (EMAS). It is the fifth year the regional airline has maintained both certifications at bases in Cologne, Munich and Frankfurt.
The American Packaging Corporation Extrusion Laminating & Coating facility in Rochester, N.Y., has earned its ISO 14001 certification. The environmental system applies to all activities, flexible packaging products and services provided at the site, the company said.
Plastikos in Erie, Pa., said that it has complete the requirements to earn its ISO 14001 certification. Projects that were introduced to meet the standard include the development of a new method to reduce material consumption, a conversion from hydraulic to all-electric presses, and a transition from paper to electronic documentation.
The 82-acre Edinburgh Zoo, owned by the Royal Zoological Society of Scotland said it has been re-certified to the ISO 14001 environmental management standard. The zoo originally went through the certification process with NQA in 2009.
Chabot Community College in Hayward, Calif., had achieved LEED Platinum certification for its new student center building. Architects at tBP/Architecture designed the facility, which features use of daylight, including a two-story, 2,900-square-foot atrium. The building uses dynamic glazing as a daylighting control system to manage sunlight and heat gain, writes Glass on Web.
Food coloring additive maker Naturex has earned OHSAS 18001 certification for its site in Avignon, France. The site has also been certified with ISO 9001, ISO 14001 and BRC, writes Natural Products Insider.
Energy Manager News
- Driving Energy Efficiency by Improving the Owner/Tenant Relationship
- Case Study: Fast Payback in New York City
- $8M Project to Upgrade Chillicothe (OH) Correctional Institute
- Three Trends Align to Save Buildings Millions in Energy Costs
- Law Bars Energy Providers from Charging Early Termination Fees in the Event of Death
- Corporations Spend Big on Ballot Initiatives, Crushing Ratepayer Opposition
- Texas Retailer Offers Instant Rebate for Rooftop Solar, Offers High Credits for Excess Solar
- Local, State and the Federal Government Excel at Energy Efficiency