Sprint Says ecoEnvelope Will Save $500,000, 447 Tons of Paper
The initiative allows Sprint customers to receive and send payments using the same two-in-one reusable envelope, which the company says in just over a year will save 9,931,834 gallons of water while preventing 859,047 pounds of solid waste and 2,692,185 pounds of CO2e.
Sprint says it’s the first wireless carrier and one of a few select retailers to offer the ecoEnvelope to customers. Canada’s Vancity Visa, a division of the bank that issues credit cards, began using the reusable envelopes in 2009, according to ecoEnvelope. The envelope company was founded in 2002 by a former organic farmer and bee keeper.
Sprint says the shift to ecoEnvelope is part of its broader commitment to responsibly procure printing paper as reflected in its Paper & Print Procurement Policy, which was updated in late 2011.
In the policy, Sprint commits to four goals:
- Increase purchase of certified paper to 90 percent by year-end 2012, 100 percent by year-end 2017.
- Increase suppliers’ compliance with Sprint’s social and environmental criteria to 50 percent by year-end 2012, 90 percent by year-end 2017.
- Increase recycled content in paper purchased to 10 percent by year-end 2012, 25 percent by year-end 2017.
- Reduce total weight of paper purchased 30 percent by year-end 2012, 40 percent by year-end 2017.
Sprint updated the policy with support from environmental not-for-profit Canopy, which collaborates with large-scale forest product customers to promote sustainable supply chains.
Last year, Sprint was one of a host of Fortune 500 companies that said it would stop using the Sustainable Forestry Initiative’s eco-label on branded paper products or company publications, following a report that alleged SFI “greenwashes” environmentally damaging products.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Technology Creates a Brighter Future for Small and Mid-Sized Commercial Solar Investments
- Incentive Program Helps Companies Afford Energy Managers
- ARPA-E Issues Grants for Solar Modules
- C-PACE Financing Innovation to Help Connecticut Green Energy Sector
- Orion Wins School District Contracts, Increases Chances for Incentives
- Study: Smartest ‘Smart Building’ Owners Come from Retail, Manufacturing, Construction
- Low Cost IoT Solutions, Data Driven Analytics to Propel Energy Mgmt Market
- A Clean Energy Future in Sight