Coke, M&S, Timberland Win Ethical Corporation Awards
Timberland, Marks & Spencer, software company Credit 360, Coca-Cola Enterprises CEO John Brock and Life Technologies Corporation’s chief sustainability officer Cristina Amorim are among the Ethical Corporation‚Äôs Responsible Business Forum awards winners for 2012.
The annual awards honor companies‚Äô and individuals‚Äô contributions to sustainable business practices.
Life Technologies’ newly appointed ‚ÄĒ and first ever ‚ÄĒ chief sustainability officer, Cristina Amorim, was named sustainability executive of the year. Since 2004, she has spearheaded a team at the global biotechnology company that has implemented green chemistry principles and other environmental initiatives.
From 2008 to 2011, Life Technologies reduced energy and water use by 20 percent and 43 percent, respectively, while cutting hazardous waste by 41 percent and non-hazardous waste by 64 percent, according to the company. At the same time, Life Technologies says it decreased the carbon footprint of its operations by 16 percent and enhanced organizational transparency with participation in the Carbon Disclosure Project.
Deutsche Telekom took home top honors in the Best Consumer Engagement category for its mobile phone recycling program, which included a range of activities from postage to working with the German national football team. It worked ‚ÄĒ the company collected almost 600,000 used cell phones within 10 weeks in 2011.
Judges gave Coca-Cola‚Äôs Brock the business leader award for what they call his ‚Äúno-nonsense implementation‚ÄĚ of Coke‚Äôs sustainability plan.
Other winners include:
- Heathrow and the Heathrow Sustainability Partnership for B2B collaboration
- UPM for most innovative company
- Telecom Development Company Afghanistan (Roshan) for best private company
- Credit 360 for best sustainability software
- Marks & Spencer for supply chain excellence
- National Australia Bank for authentic stakeholder outreach
- Novartis and Roll Back Malaria for best corporate-NGO (or other) partnership
- Compartamos Banco for best employee engagement
- Ita√ļ Unibanco for commercialized sustainability
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Bridgewater, MA, Gets $231,000 Efficiency Grant
- Biomass Group Studies Role in Clean Power Plan
- Rockleigh Borough Installing LEDs, Low Energy AC
- PHG to Build Big Gasification Plant for Sevier Solid Waste
- Energy Profile of Commercial Buildings Changing
- Smart Meter Market Surging
- Modular Data Centers Cut Construction Costs
- Failure to Build Energy Infrastructure Could Cost New England $5.4B