Coca-Cola, will.i.am Launch Ekocycle Brand to Promote Recycling
Ekocycle will partner with well-known brands that sell a variety of lifestyle products – including clothing, handbags, chairs and accessories – made at least partially from recycled materials. The first Ekocycle product, which consumers can buy in fall 2012, will be a pair of high-end headphones from Beats by Dr. Dre. Other Ekocycle products, including New Era hats, will be available in early 2013.
The Ekocycle brand will premiere its first 60-second TV commercial in the US today during the telecast of the summer Olympic Games, which Coca-Cola is sponsoring. A full-scale marketing, advertising and online campaign will follow.
Today’s generation of young consumers represents an active force and the Ekocycle brand aims to be a driver in rallying their support and efforts around a global sustainability movement, said Bea Perez, vice president and chief sustainability officer at Coca-Cola.
Coca-Cola will make a minimum $1 million financial commitment to the Ekocycle brand initiative over the next five years. The company said it will donate its portion of licensing profits from the Ekocycle brand initiative to support additional recycling and community improvement organizations.
Earth911, which hosts one of the largest recycling directories in the US, will provide an interactive and searchable recycling directory for consumers at Ekocycle.com.
Other sustainability and environmental programs have launched in conjunction with the 2012 Olympic Games in London. For example, the Games have pledged to reuse 90 percent of demolition waste and send zero waste to landfills.
Picarro, a California-based startup, has installed in situ intruments for measuring greenhouse gas emissions during the Olympics. The instruments will be part of an emissions measurement service currently being piloted by Astrium, the aerospace subsidiary of defense company EADS.
Energy Manager News
- Don’t Write Off Energy Efficiency. It’s Just about to Have Its Day.
- 44 Companies Apply to Manage OSU Energy
- ASHRAE High-Performance Building Design Professional Certification Earns ANSI Accreditation
- Energy Management Targets Commercial Real Estate
- Home Depot Hires HVAC Provider for South Arizona Stores
- Voluntary Agreement Covers Energy of Home Internet Equipment
- Community Microgrids for a Sustainable Future – TEDx Talk
- Cree Restructures LED Business in Aggressive Pricing Environment