BASF Debuts Compostable Snack Bag at Seattle Mariners Game
The first 10,000 fans that arrived at Safeco Field to see the Mariners take on the Boston Red Sox received a free bag of peanuts in BASF’s prototype packaging, developed with its biopolymer technology.
The Seattle Mariners, a member of the Green Sports Alliance, are on track this season to divert 85 percent of their waste from landfills, up from just 12 percent in 2006, according to the team.
Mariners VP of operations Scott Jenkins says one of the biggest hurdles preventing the team from reaching the 90 percent diversion mark has been snack food bags. He called the flexible packaging made with BASF biopolymers the “holy grail of greening our waste stream.”
The baseball team joins a number of other companies turning to biodegradable packaging.
In July, Starbucks launched EarthSleeve, a compostable hot cup sleeve, and McDonald’s used Novamont’s Mater-Bi bioplastic for the cups, cutlery, straws, lids and containers at its Olympic Park restaurant in London. Mater-Bi is a biopolymer containing vegetable starches and oils, and is biodegradable through composting. Burt’s Bees has set a goal of using completely biodegradable packaging and produce zero waste by 2020.
In 2009, Bumble Bee Food introduced its first 100 percent biodegradable packaging for multipacking its 5-oz cans of Prime Fillet Atlantic Salmon, and Twinings began wrapping its Everyday tea products in Innovia Film’s NatureFlex compostable packaging film.
BioMass Packaging recently added modular, single-serve cups and lids to its line of compostable food service products.
Energy Manager News
- Energy Storage: It’s About the Software
- MIT Develops Promising New Battery Storage Technology
- India Launches Net-Zero Building Portal
- Companies Cooperating on Waste-to-Energy Projects
- Clean Energy Commitment in the Corporate and Local Small Business Sphere
- Xcel Asks for $90M ‘Switching Fee’ If Lubbock Utility Joins ERCOT
- EDF Sending 127 Climate Corps Fellows to 100 Organizations
- Capegemini, Siemens Working on Analytics Platform