Jet Airways Using IBM Emissons Management
IBM’s IEMS allows Jet to compare flight records and fuel usage data contained in multiple systems ranging from internal aircraft systems to regional navigation data and flight records. Jet’s use of IEMS stems from a 2010 deal in which the two companies signed a strategic 10-year business transformation agreement aimed at streamlining and consolidating Jet’s IT operations.
Under the agreement IBM provides a host of services to Jet Airways, including data center operations, end user services, central helpdesk, network management services, server storage operation, and security services. IBM is also responsible for application management services for the carrier including ERP, flight operation, revenue management, roster and crew management, cargo management, customer relationship information system, aircraft maintenance and operations system, baggage reconciliation system and sales force automation.
After tallying up all of the services IBM provides for Jet, the airline says it is saving $6 million a year.
In May last year, a report by GE Aviation claimed that airlines could save at least $65.6 million annually while cutting carbon emissions and flight times by implementing new flight paths at 46 mid-size airports across the US.
According to the report, which is titled Highways in the Sky, an updated air traffic management system operating to reduce delays, improve efficiency and reduce the environmental impact of flying would yield an annual cumulative savings at the 46 facilities amounting to 12.9 million gallons of jet fuel; 274.6 million pounds of CO2; 747 days of flight time; and $65.6 million in fuel savings (calculated at 2009 fuel costs), maintenance and crew costs.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Technology Creates a Brighter Future for Small and Mid-Sized Commercial Solar Investments
- Incentive Program Helps Companies Afford Energy Managers
- ARPA-E Issues Grants for Solar Modules
- C-PACE Financing Innovation to Help Connecticut Green Energy Sector
- Orion Wins School District Contracts, Increases Chances for Incentives
- Study: Smartest ‘Smart Building’ Owners Come from Retail, Manufacturing, Construction
- Low Cost IoT Solutions, Data Driven Analytics to Propel Energy Mgmt Market
- A Clean Energy Future in Sight