Hilton Launches Mattress Recycling
The hotel chain has purchased more than 50,000 mattresses in the past two years in the US alone. DH Hospitality, a provider of recycling, installation, liquidation, transportation and warehousing services, will install and remove mattresses for Hilton’s properties, ensuring that hotel operations are not affected by the replacement program. The recycling firm will repurpose the mattresses, box springs and their component parts into items including tools, construction materials, flooring, oil filters and carpet padding.
Additionally, through LightStay, the company’s proprietary sustainability management system, hotels will be able to report and track the progress of their mattress donation and provide additional items during room renovations to Good360, a program that helps identify local nonprofits in need of cased goods.
The mattress recycling news follows an announcement in December last year, in which the Hilton Concord hotel in the San Francisco Bay area announced it was to use “pillow renovation” as part of a raft of environmental upgrades. The hotel uses the Pillow Vac system to sterilize and renovate most of its pillows ready for reuse, reducing the number of discarded pillows.
In September this year, Hilton announced that it achieved its five-year goal to reduce total waste output by 20 percent over 2008 levels, two years ahead of schedule, according to figures from its Lightstay sustainability measurement system.
The company has reduced its waste output by 23.3 percent against the 2008 baseline, the results show. The 2011 Lightstay report shows that the company has so far reduced energy consumption by 9.7 percent, carbon output by 10.3 percent and water use by 7.5 percent, using the same baseline. Hilton says that these figures put it on track to reduce energy consumption and CO2 emissions by 20 percent, and water consumption by 10 percent by 2014.
Energy Manager News
- Don’t Write Off Energy Efficiency. It’s Just about to Have Its Day.
- 44 Companies Apply to Manage OSU Energy
- ASHRAE High-Performance Building Design Professional Certification Earns ANSI Accreditation
- Energy Management Targets Commercial Real Estate
- Home Depot Hires HVAC Provider for South Arizona Stores
- Voluntary Agreement Covers Energy of Home Internet Equipment
- Community Microgrids for a Sustainable Future – TEDx Talk
- Cree Restructures LED Business in Aggressive Pricing Environment