GE to Buy 2,000 Ford Plug-in Hybrids
The Ford C-MAX Energi plug-in hybrid provides a 21-mile electric-only range, a 108-mpg city EPA rating and a 620-mile single-tank driving range. GE will begin integrating the Ford C-Max Energi into its fleet this month.
In turn, Ford will market GE’s WattStation electric vehicle charging station and “CNG in a Box” natural gas fueling stations with its commercial customers.
The two companies will also collaborate with researchers from the Georgia Institute of Technology on data collection and analysis of GE’s fleet, to improve efficiencies in electric driving and charging.
GE’s purchase of 2,000 Ford plug-in hybrids will help the company get closer to its goal of converting half of its global fleet, or 25,000 vehicles, to alternative fuel vehicles. With this purchase, GE will own more than 5,000 alternative fuel vehicles.
Ford also will supply new alternative fuel vehicles for use at GE’s Vehicle Innovation Center in Eden Prairie, Minn. The Vehicle Innovation Center gives GE’s commercial customers the opportunity to test drive alternative fuel cars and trucks in a single location with assistance from GE’s fleet, transportation, energy and advanced technology experts. Ford already has placed its pure electric Focus at the center.
The partnership is one of many GE has established with EV automakers and retailers to market its WattStation charging station.
In July, GE partnered with home improvement store Lowe’s to offer WattStation Wall Mount Electric Vehicle Charging Station for homes and businesses. GE and Better Place teamed up two years ago in a deal to combine the WattStation with EV services and infrastructure.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Greenskies Enlarges Wesleyan University’s Microgrid
- Pacific Power Names Three wattsmart Business Partners of the Year
- 2014 Better Than 2013 for Distributed Wind Turbines, But Far Below 2012
- Making Efficiency Attractive to Investors
- Hydrogen from Landfill Powers Forklifts at BMW Plant
- Big Energy Savings for Hoke, N.C., Schools
- Energy Savings Performance Contracts Unlock Deep Savings
- Technology Creates a Brighter Future for Small and Mid-Sized Commercial Solar Investments