GE to Buy 2,000 Ford Plug-in Hybrids
The Ford C-MAX Energi plug-in hybrid provides a 21-mile electric-only range, a 108-mpg city EPA rating and a 620-mile single-tank driving range. GE will begin integrating the Ford C-Max Energi into its fleet this month.
In turn, Ford will market GE’s WattStation electric vehicle charging station and “CNG in a Box” natural gas fueling stations with its commercial customers.
The two companies will also collaborate with researchers from the Georgia Institute of Technology on data collection and analysis of GE’s fleet, to improve efficiencies in electric driving and charging.
GE’s purchase of 2,000 Ford plug-in hybrids will help the company get closer to its goal of converting half of its global fleet, or 25,000 vehicles,Â to alternative fuel vehicles. With this purchase, GEÂ will own more than 5,000 alternative fuel vehicles.
Ford also will supply new alternative fuel vehicles for use at GEâ€™s Vehicle Innovation Center in Eden Prairie, Minn. The Vehicle Innovation Center gives GEâ€™s commercial customers the opportunity to test drive alternative fuel cars and trucks in a single location with assistance from GEâ€™s fleet, transportation, energy and advanced technology experts. Ford already has placed its pure electric Focus at the center.
The partnership is one of many GE has established with EV automakers and retailers to market its WattStation charging station.
In July, GE partnered with home improvement store Lowe’s to offer WattStation Wall Mount Electric Vehicle Charging Station for homes and businesses. GE and Better Place teamed up two years ago in a deal to combine the WattStation with EV services and infrastructure.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Con Edison Development Procures GE Energy Storage System
- Courthouse Replaces Oversized Boiler
- Indoor Farming Company Works on HVAC with PUE 1.0
- Toolkits Designed to Help Health Care Facilities Reduce Energy
- San Antonio Macyâ€™s Store Showcases Better Buildings Challenge Measures
- Natural Gas Gensets to Reach 27 GW of Installed Capacity by 2024
- Larson Releases a Solar Powered Generator with Manual Crank Mast
- Energy Efficiency in Food Service Businesses