Online Tool Calculates Health Benefits, Economic Value of Climate Change Efforts
AirCounts, a new online tool to help large and medium-sized cities calculate the health benefits and monetary value of air quality improvements, was introduced by developer Abt Associates.
“As cities across the globe begin establishing climate change policies and programs that include improving air quality, they’ll need to answer questions about the health benefits and economic value that can be realized from those programs,” said Mike Conti, vice president of Abt Associates’ Environment & Resources Division.
The interactive website, part of Abt’s group of climate change solution methods and tools, enables users to determine how many premature deaths can be avoided and the associated economic benefits in the world’s largest cities, including all C40 Cities, as a result of emissions reductions.
Visitors to AirCounts can choose any city and see its profile, including its fine particulate matter (PM2.5) level, the city’s population, income per capita and adult mortality rate. By using the online calculator, they can determine the benefits of various levels of emissions reductions.
Energy Manager News
- Two Studies Show the State of Energy Efficiency
- Phoenix Airport LED Project Moves Along
- Maine Businesses Shut Out of Power Program
- Stay Cool This Summer While Avoiding These Common Summer Pitfalls
- Coalition Seeks to Stop SCE&G’s Blank Check
- NARUC Releases DER Draft Rate Design Manual
- Behind the Meter Podcast: Pushing Sustainability, Efficiency with Green Leases
- The Tricky World of Portable Commercial Air Conditioners