Detroit Auto Show Day 2: Honda’s Urban SUV, Leaf Price Drop, Verizon-Via Cargo Van
Honda unveiled its “Urban SUV Concept,” an all-new small SUV slated to launch in Japan by the end of the year. The SUV, which is part of Honda’s global series of compact vehicles, will be available in the US in 2014. The vehicle will be nine inches shorter than the Honda CR-V and will be priced below the larger model, Honda said.
Verizon has collaborated with electric-vehicle developer and manufacturer Via Motors to produce an extended-range electric cargo van. The companies, which announced their partnership in March, unveiled the vehicle Monday. Via developed and built the van based on Verizon’s direction and fleet concepts, and expects it to achieve 100 miles per gallon with near-zero emissions. Verizon will test and deploy two of the vans in New Jersey and New York, the companies said. Via Motors unveiled two electric vehicles, the 800-horsepower X-Truck and a Cadillac Escalade, on the opening day of the auto show.
Nissan is lowering the price of its 2013 Leaf electric vehicle by about $6,000 to $28,800, reported the Huffington Post. When combined with the federal electric-vehicle tax credit of $7,500 and other state and local incentive, the price could be as low as $18,800 for consumers in California. The 2013 Nissan Leaf goes on sale in February.
The Nissan Resonance crossover concept also made its global debut at the auto show. The concept, created by Nissan Design America in San Diego, would house a 2.5-liter engine with an electric motor and two-clutch hybrid technology, reported Autoweek.
Cadillac shared a few more details about its 2014 Cadillac ELR, a plug-in hybrid luxury coupe based on the Chevrolet Volt. The ELR will use the Volt’s 16.5-kilowatt-hour battery, a 1.4-liter, 84-horspeower, 4-cylinder engine and an electric drive unit that produces 160 to 180 horsepower and 295 pound-feet of torque, reported the New York Times. Cadillac did not release pricing for the ELR, which goes on sale next year.
Energy Manager News
- ERC: Electricity Price Trends for the Week Ending June 26
- Final Energy Conservation Standards for Packaged Terminal Air Conditioners Mirror ASHRAE/IES Standard 90.1-2013
- Seeley International Acquires Coolerado
- Joule Assets Becomes Demand Response Provider in Texas
- Excalibur Energy Becomes Preferred Supplier for Facilities Management Firm
- Product Warranty Covers Both Insulated Roof Panels, Solar PV
- Combining Solar with Ground Heat Pump Is Energy, Cost Efficient
- Current Clamps Measure Energy for Small Businesses