Fleets Could Cut Fuel Costs 75% with EVs, Plug-Ins
The report by the Plugged-In Fleets Initiative, a joint effort of the Energy Saving Trust, EDF Energy and Route Monkey, studied the potential savings 20 companies could make by deploying plug-in vehicles such as electric and plug-in hybrids. Participants included Schneider Electric, the London Fire Brigade, Surrey County Council, Southwark Council, Ryden Group, Tristar Chauffeurs, the University of Cumbria, Urban Planters, and York City Council.
“Plugged-In Fleets Initiative: Charging Forward” found companies that operate vehicles with mileage below 80 miles per day would find that all-electric vehicles meet their needs on a single overnight charge.
As part of PIFI, each company received a strategic plan for what mix of electric vehicles would best suit its needs. For example, the initiative found construction company Forrest would save 26.39 pence (41.75 cents) per mile or £2,154 in fuel costs over three years by using an all-electric vehicle as a pool car, as opposed to a conventional company car such as the Ford Fiesta.
The savings were even greater for executive company cars, which would be extended range EVs such as the Vauxhall Ampera. Under that scenario, the company would save 61.6 pence per mile or about £2,532 in fuel costs over three years compared to Forrest’s existing executive car, the Mercedes-Benz C350.
An analysis of Schneider Electric’s 49 company cars based in London found that drivers would see benefit-in-kind savings averaging £951 annually over four years with the Ampera, compared to the BMW 320 diesel.
The study also found that driver training can reduce energy consumption by 16 percent, the equivalent to increasing the “real world” range of an EV by 20 percent.
PIFI is funded by Transport for London and the UK’s Department for Transport.
Energy Manager News
- Driving Energy Efficiency in Leased Commercial Space is Complicated – and Worthwhile
- Will Co-Firing Natural Gas and Coal Meet Clean Power Plan Standards?
- Pitkin County (CO) Looks for Solar Opportunities
- Solar Panels Working as Promised for Iowa Company
- China and India: Doing the Unimaginable to Address Climate Change
- Maine Solar Bill That Advocates Claim Could Save $100M Is Vetoed by Governor LePage
- Competitive Green Retailer Star Energy Partners Expands to New Jersey, Pennsylvania
- Flying High: Energy Efficiency, Renewables and Airports