Brookshire joins EPA GreenChill Partnership
By joining GreenChill, Brookshire pledges to go beyond regulatory requirements to protect the ozone layer and combat climate change.Â Other food retailers that are currently members of GreenChill include Acme, Albertsons,Â Whole Foods, Harris Teeter andÂ Target,Â which joined the program in 2011.
According to the EPA, a typical supermarket leaks some 1,000 pounds of harmful refrigerant gas into the atmosphere each year. By joining GreenChill, Brookshire will work to reduce those emissions by continuing to transition to more environmentally friendly refrigerants, reduce the amount of refrigerant used and adopt green refrigeration technologies, strategies and practices. Companies that partner with GreenChill have refrigerant emissions rates that are about 50 percent lower than the national average, the EPA says.
In September,Â Pittsburghâ€™s Giant Eagle and the Albertsons in Carpinteria, Calif., among other supermarkets, won EPA GreenChill awards.Â For the fourth time in GreenChillâ€™s five-year history, Giant Eagle won the programâ€™s best emissions rate award for achieving the lowest corporate-wide emissions rate of all GreenChill supermarket companies.Â Albertsonsâ€™ Carpinteria store earned GreenChillâ€™s best certified store award for being the first in the nation to use only low global warming potential refrigerants.
In 2008, GreenChill supermarketsÂ reduced their aggregate emissions 8.5 percent.
For a full list of GreenChill partners, clickÂ here.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Tesla Becoming a Major Player in the Energy Storage Market
- Federal Agencies Must Use eProject Builder for All ESPC Projects
- Refrigeration Battery Works as Energy Storage
- 400 kW Fuel Cell System Powers Comcast Facility
- City Picks UtilityTRX for Utility Bill Management
- FridgeWize Unveils HVAC EC Motors
- Aztec AMC Modular HVAC system Reduces Data Center Cooling Costs
- Verismic Does Remote PC Power Management