Finnish Recycling Powerhouse to Install Robotic Recycling System
Finnish recycler Lassila & Tikanoja plc and ZenRobotics Ltd. announced L&T is acquiring the ZenRobotics Recycler recycling system. The system safely sorts raw materials like metal, wood, and stone fractions from construction and demolition waste.
ZenRobotics says the ZRR technology allows the customer to both recover more raw materials to sell for profit, and to save in disposal fees.
L&T is to install the ZenRobotics Recycler system in 2013 in the company’s flagship recycling facility in Kerava, 30 km from Helsinki, Finland. The uptake of the system will further increase the recycling rate of the facility’s mixed construction and demolition waste, reducing the amount of material that needs to be land-filled, the company says.
ZenRobotics says its recycling system is the first robotic waste sorting system in the world. Currently designed for construction and demolition waste, ZenRobotics Recycler reclaims valuable raw materials from waste with the help of advanced machine learning technology. Currently the ZRR sorts metal, wood and stone fractions. ZenRobotics Recycler uses multiple sensors (visible spectrum cameras, NIR, 3D laser scanners, haptic sensors, etc). to create a real-time analysis of the waste stream being currently processed. Based on the analysis, the system makes autonomous decisions on what objects to pick and how.
L&T VP of Environmental Sales Petri Salermo says that moving from manual waste sorting to a robot process will also improve the occupational safety and the overall working conditions at the facility.
Energy Manager News
- Tesla’s Battery Storage Device Put to Use. Time to Exhale?
- Variable Speed Drives are a Powerful Efficiency Tool
- Veolia Checks Into the UK’s Tallest Hotel
- Massachusetts Aims for Critical Care Resiliency
- State of Michigan and MISO Propose Retail Capacity Charge
- Breaking the Ice with Thermal Energy Storage
- Ameresco to Upgrade Federal Prison in Butner, NC
- Alpen Introduces Window Package Rated at R10 Insulation