Kansas City Chiefs Unveils ‘Extra Yard for the Environment’, Hosts Recycling Drive
EPA Region 7 and the Kansas City Chiefs announced its Extra Yard for the Environment initiative, a program designed to devise and implement new green policies for the Kansas City Chiefs while raising awareness for green efforts at Arrowhead Stadium and the University of Kansas Hospital Training Complex.
To launch Extra Yard for the Environment, the Chiefs are hosting a community-wide recycling drive at Arrowhead Stadium on Saturday, April 20. As part of the kickoff for Earth Day on Monday, April 22, EPA will join the Chiefs, along with a number of other local vendors, to help facilitate a one-stop recycling opportunity for metro-area residents. Individuals are encouraged to preview a list of participating vendors and the items they will be accepting to see how they can take full advantage of this recycling opportunity. All recycling, with the exception of noted electronics recycling, is free of charge.
Since the Chiefs began implementing and tracking sustainability efforts more than two years ago, the organization has put an emphasis on becoming a more socially-responsible corporate citizen. In that time, waste diverted from landfills through recycling, composting, and other means has increased from 11 percent to 44 percent.
All NFL teams have implemented some sort of sustainability initiative in order to improve their environmental footprint. The NFL formed the NFL Green Team in 2008 in order to share information about better practices at NFL facilities and help reduce environmental impacts at NFL facilities and events. The NFL is working with the National Resources Defense Council (NRDC) to review the value of league-wide environmental data collection systems that would help teams help teams track their environmental impacts by collecting baseline information about energy use, waste generation and recycling, water use and paper use.
Energy Manager News
- Don’t Write Off Energy Efficiency. It’s Just about to Have Its Day.
- 44 Companies Apply to Manage OSU Energy
- ASHRAE High-Performance Building Design Professional Certification Earns ANSI Accreditation
- Energy Management Targets Commercial Real Estate
- Home Depot Hires HVAC Provider for South Arizona Stores
- Voluntary Agreement Covers Energy of Home Internet Equipment
- Community Microgrids for a Sustainable Future – TEDx Talk
- Cree Restructures LED Business in Aggressive Pricing Environment