LaserShip Joins EPA’s SmartWay Transport Partnership
As part of the initiative, SmartWay provides the tools and framework with which LaserShip and other member carriers can benchmark operations, track fuel consumption and improve performance.
The SmartWay program has helped partners slash fuel costs by more than $6.5 billion since 2004, reducing foreign oil imports by 55 million barrels, the EPA says. Further, emissions have been reduced by 23.6 MMT of carbon dioxide, 478,000 tons of nitrogen oxide, and 22,000 tons of particulate matter.
SmartWay partners include Coca-Cola Enterprises, Nike, UPS, Home Depot, and other freight shippers, truck carriers, rail carriers, logistics companies and multi-modal carriers.
By joining SmartWay, the East Coast parcel carrier is committing to reducing its carbon footprint and boosting its “green shipping,” says Josh Dinneen, LaserShip’s vice president of supply chain.
In January, Georgia Gulf Corporation’s compound division received environmental certification from the SmartWay Transport Partnership.
In an effort to reduce emissions and save money on fuel costs, UPS earlier this week announced it will purchase about 700 liquefied natural gas 18-wheelers and build four refueling stations to serve its heavy-weight rigs by the end of 2014.
UPS has more than 1,000 natural gas vehicles worldwide. Natural gas prices — which are 30 to 40 percent lower than imported diesel — and the boom in domestic gas production prompted the company to invest more aggressively in the infrastructure necessary to make natural gas part of its US delivery network, UPS says. The company also says natural gas generates 25 percent less carbon dioxide emissions than diesel fuel.
Energy Manager News
- U.S. House Subcommittee Reviews Kennedy’s Fair RATES Act
- Nevada PAC Seeks Entry into State for Retail Energy Suppliers
- Using Big Data to Help Solve the Big Building Energy Problem
- Smart Computer Use Hikes Energy Efficiency
- Flint Water Crisis Uncovers Ignoble Decisions and Neglect of Existing Enviro Regs
- Trimble Acquires Sefaira
- Truman (MO) State: “We’ll Save $1 Million Annually on Energy Upgrade”
- PJM Tool Demos How Price Fluctuations, Weather Impact Customer Bills