LaserShip Joins EPA’s SmartWay Transport Partnership
As part of the initiative, SmartWay provides the tools and framework with which LaserShip and other member carriers can benchmark operations, track fuel consumption and improve performance.
The SmartWay program has helped partners slash fuel costs by more than $6.5 billion since 2004, reducing foreign oil imports by 55 million barrels, the EPA says. Further, emissions have been reduced by 23.6 MMT of carbon dioxide, 478,000 tons of nitrogen oxide, and 22,000 tons of particulate matter.
SmartWay partners include Coca-Cola Enterprises, Nike, UPS, Home Depot, and other freight shippers, truck carriers, rail carriers, logistics companies and multi-modal carriers.
By joining SmartWay, the East Coast parcel carrier is committing to reducing its carbon footprint and boosting its “green shipping,” says Josh Dinneen, LaserShip’s vice president of supply chain.
In January, Georgia Gulf Corporation’s compound division received environmental certification from the SmartWay Transport Partnership.
In an effort to reduce emissions and save money on fuel costs, UPS earlier this week announced it will purchase about 700 liquefied natural gas 18-wheelers and build four refueling stations to serve its heavy-weight rigs by the end of 2014.
UPS has more than 1,000 natural gas vehicles worldwide. Natural gas prices — which are 30 to 40 percent lower than imported diesel — and the boom in domestic gas production prompted the company to invest more aggressively in the infrastructure necessary to make natural gas part of its US delivery network, UPS says. The company also says natural gas generates 25 percent less carbon dioxide emissions than diesel fuel.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- New Wind Farm to Sell Power to Hawaii County Department of Water Supply
- Hybrid Gensets Can Help Solve a Big Problem for the Mining Industry
- Commercial Property Energy Use Down in San Francisco
- Royalpark Homes to Install Solar PV + Energy Storage System
- Wabasha-Kellogg School to Invest $4M in HVAC Upgrade
- Will Boulder County Expand Net-Zero Building Requirements?
- Energy Storage Prospects Bright in Virginia, Ontario
- Sustenir to Use Illumitex LEDs in Singapore Vertical Farming