Green Globes: Gunning for LEED
The online assessment and rating tool has undergone several transformations in its lifetime, starting as the BREEAM Canada for Existing Buildings standard and moving to something more like its current form in 2000. Green Globes now offers assessment tools for new buildings, existing buildings, building intelligence, fit-up and building emergency management.
The Canadian federal government has adopted the system for all its real estate, and while Green Globes has been an option in the US since 2006, it’s overshadowed by its USGBC-run rival. Now Green Globes’ US administrator, the Green Building Initiative, has taken its system for new construction to the next stage, aligning it to an ANSI standard, ANSI/GBI 01-2010: Green Building Assessment Protocol for Commercial Buildings. The GBI says it has also made changes to all seven of the standard’s assessment areas.
Will that kick-start Green Globes adoption in the US? Perhaps. But the GBI may have just missed its chance at the biggest prize of all: the US federal government. Some trade groups have been urging the feds to ditch LEED, and in May 2012, a report from federal landlord the General Services Administration found that Green Globes met federal new construction requirements better than LEED, though LEED was still best for existing buildings. But this spring, an official advisory committee recommended that the federal government continue to use the more popular system as its main green building standard. The secretaries of energy and defense have yet to make a final decision.
Tamar Wilner is Senior Editor at Environmental Leader PRO.
Correction: Green Globes has been available in the US since 2006, not 1996 as previously stated.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Energy Storage in the Fast Lane
- Alberta Firm Aims for Energy Neutral Egg Laying Barn
- The Department of Energy Seeks to Improve the Better Buildings Challenge
- Behind the Meter: The Many Advantages of Energy Benchmarking
- Telecommunications Companies Upgrade Their Approaches to Energy
- Cutting Energy Use in Fire Stations
- Revolution Lighting Signs School Districts in NY, NJ
- Green Building Boom Is Pumping Billions into US Economy, Retrofits Are Fueling the Trend