BioPreferred Label: Back in Business
USDA launched the voluntary labeling program for biobased industrial and commercial products in 2011, but stopped processing applications in January due to a lack of funding. In the meantime, the 900 existing BioPreferred certifications in 89 categories remained valid. Now it appears companies can once again seek BioPreferred certification for their products. The news may help to maintain momentum in the bioplastics market, where North America has lagged behind Europe, South America and Asia.
For more on biobased and biodegradable products, see the complementary EL Insights Green Plastics report.
Tamar Wilner is Senior Editor at Environmental Leader PRO.
Energy Manager News
- Clauses to Consider in Green Leases
- Bahama Yacht Club to Generate Power from Solid Waste
- Duke Energy, USF Launch Solar Battery Research Initiative
- Energy Storage Helps Hotel Reduce Demand Charges by 10%
- EU Smart Campus Pilot Achieves 30% Energy Savings
- Uline to Operate 130 GenDrive Fuel Cell Units from Plug Power
- Los Angeles Shopping Center Installs 504 kW Solar
- SustainCo Wins $575,000 Contract for Energy Management Controls