Standards & Compliance: Fracking Water, Denver ISO, Gazprom
An ASTM International subcommittee has formed to develop standards to assess water quality of fracking fluids and determine impacts of a spill, including possible contamination. Subcommittee D19.09 on Water – Hydraulic Fracturing Fluids is developing the proposed standard WK40832, Test Method for Measurement of Dissolved Gases Methane, Ethane, Ethylene and Propane by Static Headspace Sampling and Flame Ionization Detection.
The city of Denver has been recertified under the ISO 14001 environmental management standard, by Lloyd’s Register Quality Assurance. The city says its EMS has helped it cut energy use per square foot by 23 percent from 2006 to 2011, and another 6 percent from 2011 to 2012, as well as reduce hazardous waste, cut water use in parks, and achieve LEED certification for 12 facilities.
Russian oil company Gazprom Neft‘s environmental management system has met requirements of ISO 14001. The Russian Register certification association evaluated and analyzed the functioning of Gazprom Neft’s environmental management system.
The Cadillac Fairview Corporation, a real estate investor wholly owned by the Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan, announced that its TD Bank Tower in Toronto has achieved LEED Gold certification under the Existing Buildings: Operations and Maintenance program. The TD Centre complex already includes LEED Gold and Platinum certified buildings.
PNC Financial Services Group says it now has 207 LEED-certified projects in 16 states, Washington D.C. and London, Pittsburgh Business Times reports. The company says this has contributed to its cutting energy consumption by 9 percent and energy costs by 15 percent since 2009.
Most of KI’s line of furniture products, including moveable walls, desk and panel systems, storage, tables, and seating, have secured Indoor Advantage Gold certification for indoor air quality from SCS Global Services. KI targets its products at the education, healthcare, government and corporate markets.
Energy Manager News
- Behind the Meter Podcast: Seeing U-Haul’s HQ Parking Structure in a New (LED) Light
- Uninterruptible Power Supplies: The Case for Moving Beyond Batteries
- Nuclear Giant Exelon Wants to Invest in Wind Energy in Ohio
- Arby’s Reports on Corporate Social Responsibility Initiatives
- Navigant: Smart Meter Sector Has “Plateaued”
- Poll: 75% of Large U.S. Corporations Say They Will Buy Renewables Within 18 Months
- Duke Energy Progress Customers to See Fuel Cost-Recovery Savings
- Energy-as-a-Service: Charting a Path Through Complexity