Standards and Compliance Briefing: SFI, LEED, EPD
Mohawk Group has issued its first environmental product declaration, for its EcoFlex ICT modular commercial floor covering. For the EPD, the company performed a life cycle assessment to capture impacts on energy, water use, material consumption, emissions and waste generation, following ISO standards and the EN 15804 standard for construction products. The company says it is identifying other product lines to add to its EPD portfolio.
The 2013 Waste Management Phoenix Open earned Gold Certification for social and environmental responsibility from the Council for Responsible Sport. The event also earned UL Environment’s Zero Waste to Landfill claim validation.
Five ReEnergy Holdings biomass-to-energy plants in Maine and New York have been certified as meeting Sustainable Forestry Initiative standards. The certification verifies that the company’s biomass procurement program promotes land stewardship and responsible forestry.
Data security service provider ITADSecurity has been certified as an e-Stewards Enterprise for committing to using electronics recyclers certified to the e-Stewards Standard. ITADSecurity’s software automatically manages IT inventory throughout its lifecycle from acquisition through disposition.
T5 Data Centers‘ Plano, Texas facility has earned LEED Silver certification. The 150,000 sq ft building has 129,000 sq ft of raised floor on a 20-acre site.
CityFlatsHotel in Grand Rapids, Mich., has earned LEED Gold certification. The hotel uses recycled glass and concrete, low-VOC paint, and bamboo-based linens that can be washed in cold water, Grand Rapids Business Journal reports.
Nemours Children’s Hospital in Orlando has been awarded LEED Gold certification. The 63,000-square-foot building includes exterior sunshades that help reduce energy costs by 22 percent, and 90 percent of construction waste was recycled, the Orlando Sentinel reports.
Energy Manager News
- Driving Energy Efficiency by Improving the Owner/Tenant Relationship
- Case Study: Fast Payback in New York City
- $8M Project to Upgrade Chillicothe (OH) Correctional Institute
- Three Trends Align to Save Buildings Millions in Energy Costs
- Law Bars Energy Providers from Charging Early Termination Fees in the Event of Death
- Corporations Spend Big on Ballot Initiatives, Crushing Ratepayer Opposition
- Texas Retailer Offers Instant Rebate for Rooftop Solar, Offers High Credits for Excess Solar
- Local, State and the Federal Government Excel at Energy Efficiency