‘Meluha the Fern’ Ecotel Nears 100% Solid Waste-Free Goal
Meluha the Fern, a 5-star “Ecotel” hotel operated by the Concept Hospitality Group in Mumbai, announced that it is nearing its 100% solid waste-free goal, with 99.4% of solid waste diverted away from landfills.
Meluha the Fern is part of The Fern Hotels & Resorts, a group that claims to be India’s leading environmentally sensitive hospitality brand. In May, the hotel won the Best Sustainable Hotel for India award, from International Property Awards, for 2013-2014.
“Ecotel” is a certification that enables hotels to become sustainable by reducing the environmental impact of their business and becoming financially more viable and socially responsible. Managed by HVS Sustainability, Ecotel was developed in 1994. The certification’s criteria are commensurate with those internationally recognized for sustainability.
In order to certify as an Ecotel, a hotel must effectively recycle and manage waste wherever generated. Proper systems for collection, recycling and disposal of these wastes in all departments of the hotel are a must for the Ecotel certification. Moreover, all employees of the hotel must undergo training in the basic solid waste management techniques.
Ecotel assists hotels in setting standards in environmental best practices, which in turn helps them cut back on operating costs and increases their overall competitiveness. Its mission is “to enable hotels to achieve a strategic and economic advantage through environment-friendly operations, systems and processes while positively impacting their local communities.” Ecotel aims to do this through its certification and training workshops, which empower hotel communities to improve their standards without compromising the environment.
The five parameters for HVS’s Ecotel certification include solid waste management, energy efficiency, water conservation and preservation, employee education and community involvement.
Other Ecotels certified by HVS Sustainability include: the Orchid and Rodas in Mumbai; Beaumonde the Fern in Kochi; The Uppal’s Orchid in Delhi; and other The Fern hotels in Ahmedabad, Hyderabad, and Jaipur.
Energy Manager News
- Duke Energy SC Customers Have Reaped $5M in Solar Rebates Since Last October
- BidEnergy to Launch Its ‘Source-to-Pay’ Process for Energy in U.S. Market
- Garden State Residential, Commercial Customers Will Pay Less for Gas This Winter
- Better Buildings, Better Plants: 12 Success Stories
- CA Governor Signs Bill Clarifying PACE Disclosures
- CA School District to Get 73% of Energy From Solar Carports
- Two Critical Questions to Ask Yourself About Your Current Energy Contract
- Pepco and Exelon Say Customers Have Benefitted$440 Million Since Merger