Bosch Plant Cuts CO2 Emissions 30%
The Glenrothes plant, which manufactures hydraulic motors for forklift trucks, mini excavators and other mobile plant equipment, reduced its emissions after installing three 140 kW combined heat and power (CHP) units, the company says. Bosch Group supplied the CHP units with four Worcester Bosch 100 kW Greenstar boilers installed as a backup system for maintenance periods.
The CHP units store hot water in three 10,000-liter buffer tanks that can hold it at 90 degrees Centigrade. The entire CHP system is monitored and controlled via a PC-based building management program that can be adjusted as necessary from around the site.
Previously the facility used large gas-fired heaters and boilers to heat the shop floor, which were between 20 and 25 years old.
Bosch UK president Peter Fouquet says the 30 percent CO2 reduction shows the company’s commitment to cutting waste and emissions from its operations worldwide.
In June, Bosch said it would work with Mitsubishi and GS Yuasa to develop lithium-ion (li-ion) batteries.
The companies plan to use advanced cell management and progress in electrochemistry and materials to significantly increase energy content. This will reduce weight and space requirements, and increase the range of electric vehicles.
The three companies intend to set up a joint venture for joint research and development. Bosch will hold a 50 percent stake in the joint venture. Operations are planned to start in the beginning of 2014.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- LAX Commissions New $438M Central Utilities Plant
- International Paper Receives Trucked Compressed Natural Gas
- Housing Authority Signs ESPC with Ameresco
- Solar Installed at USDA Buildings
- Eaton Supports 6.3 MW Hospital Solar Installation in New Jersey
- UK Grocery Store Chain Gives Refrigerators an Energy Savings Turbo Boost
- ATG Designs 120-watt LED Fixture for Gas Station Canopies
- Schneider Electric Launches PowerLogic PM8000 Line of Meters