Bio-Tec Patents Environmentally Friendly Plastic Method
Bio-Tec Environmental has patented a method of creating a layered polymeric plastic or composite.
The biodegradable-plastics company has been granted US Patent 8,222,316 and foreign equivalents for this process. Products that combine the patented method with Bio-Tec’s patent-pending formulations are under development, the company says.
Bio-Tec has also received a US notice of allowance for an admixture that when added to a polymeric material enhances bio-degradation of the polymeric material.
The company introduced its flagship product, EcoPure, in 2008. EcoPure additives increase the rate of biodegradation of treated plastics and are designed for use in polyolefins, polystyrene, nylon, polycarbonate, PET and most common resins.
Additionally, EcoPure does not destroy the desirable properties of the plastic in the process, the company says. For example, EcoPure-treated PET water bottles will be just as durable, watertight and have the same shelf life as an untreated PET bottle, according to Bio-Tech. In most applications, EcoPure can be added to plastic at a ratio of 1 percent by weight, which the company says makes it cost-effective as well.
In other efforts to develop bioplastics, Gevo, with support from the Coca-Cola Company and Japanese chemical giant Toray Industries, opened a demonstration-scale paraxylene plant in Silsbee, Texas this week.
Paraxylene is a key building block for renewable, non-petroleum derived PET beverage bottles and polyester for packaging films and fibers used in textiles, clothing and other applications.
Gevo is working with the Coca-Cola Company on a new production technology for renewable paraxylene. Coke provided research and development support for this plant under a joint development agreement. The two companies first teamed up two years ago with an agreement under which Gevo would supply paraxylene for Coke’s bottles.
Energy Manager News
- ERC: Electricity Price Trends for the Week Ending June 26
- Final Energy Conservation Standards for Packaged Terminal Air Conditioners Mirror ASHRAE/IES Standard 90.1-2013
- Seeley International Acquires Coolerado
- Joule Assets Becomes Demand Response Provider in Texas
- Excalibur Energy Becomes Preferred Supplier for Facilities Management Firm
- Product Warranty Covers Both Insulated Roof Panels, Solar PV
- Combining Solar with Ground Heat Pump Is Energy, Cost Efficient
- Current Clamps Measure Energy for Small Businesses