Standards & Compliance Briefing: ISO 14001 Revision, LEED for Obama Poster Building
In a meeting in Bogota last week, a working group approved the ISO 14001 Committee Draft 2 (CD2) document for publication, in the latest step towards revision of that standard. The document is expected to be published next week, according to certification and testing company LRQA.
Real estate firm Transwestern’s mixed-use building at 815 Connecticut Ave., NW in Washington, DC has received Platinum certification under the LEED – Existing Buildings: Operations & Maintenance system. President Obama toured the project – a renovation to a nearly 50-year-old building – in 2011 to launch his Better Buildings Initiative, which encourages owners to make commercial properties more efficient, the Washington Business Journal says. The building features a new exterior facade, more efficient HVAC systems and energy monitoring, and now saves about $350,000 a year in utility expenses.
Food Services of America has added Marine Stewardship Council-certified seafood to ten regional distribution centers, certified by SCS Global Services. FSA supplies fresh food products to restaurants and commercial kitchens in the US Midwest and Western states, as well as Alaska. The first distribution center to begin sourcing MSC-certified seafood will be in the Pacific Northwest.
Grand Valley State University‘s Seidman College of Business has received LEED Gold certification for its $40 million, 127,643 sq ft L. William Seidman Center in downtown Grand Rapids, Mich. The center reuses a brownfield site, the Grand Rapids Business Journal reports.
Palm Recycling has achieved ISO standards 14001 for environmental management, 9001 for quality management and OHSAS 18001 for health and safety. The UK company procures recovered paper feedstock for Palm Paper.
Days Contract Hire has achieved ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 certification. The UK-based company leases cars and commercial vehicle fleets.
Energy Manager News
- Price of Carbon Credits Rises In Europe, Which is a Good Thing
- Iowa Utilities Get Pushback on Plans for Higher Rooftop Solar Rates
- Driving Energy Efficiency in Leased Commercial Space is Complicated – and Worthwhile
- Will Co-Firing Natural Gas and Coal Meet Clean Power Plan Standards?
- Pitkin County (CO) Looks for Solar Opportunities
- Solar Panels Working as Promised for Iowa Company
- China and India: Doing the Unimaginable to Address Climate Change
- Maine Solar Bill That Advocates Claim Could Save $100M Is Vetoed by Governor LePage