Standards & Compliance Briefing: Whirlpool, LEED, Green Hospitality
Whirlpool has received certification to AHAM 7003-2013/CSA SPE-7003-13/UL 7003, Sustainability Standard for Household Clothes Washers, for select products. These include the first top-load models certified to the standard. The certification examines six key points of environmental impact: materials, manufacturing and operations, energy and water consumption during use, consumables, end of life, and innovation.
Email marketing company AWeber Communications has achieved LEED Gold certification for its new 71,000 sq foot Chalfont, Pa., headquarters. The building features a 20-foot bio-wall, two-story rain curtain, automatically adjusting window shades, and a building management system that monitors over 50,000 points in the building every 15 seconds, to optimize light, control temperature and minimize waste.
Clemson University’s 100,000 sq ft Life Sciences Facility has been awarded LEED Gold certification. Features include active chilled beams, photovoltaic arrays, occupancy and daylight sensors, high-performance glazing, a smart technology irrigation system and low-flow plumbing fixtures.
Two hotels, Hotel Doolin and The Armada in Spanish Point, both operated by hotelier John Burke, have received platinum accreditation under Ireland’s Green Hospitality Awards program. The hotels cut water consumption by 38 percent per guest, reduced waste to landfill by 62 percent, and cut electricity per guest by 28 percent, all in two years.
Black Oak Golf Club in Long Valley, NJ has been designated as a Certified Signature Sanctuary under the Audubon International Signature Program. To become certified, organizations must follow site-specific Natural Resource Management Plans addressing wildlife conservation and habitat enhancement, water quality and conservation, integrated pest management, energy efficiency, waste reduction, and green building products and procedures.
Energy Manager News
- Behind the Meter Podcast: Seeing U-Haul’s HQ Parking Structure in a New (LED) Light
- Uninterruptible Power Supplies: The Case for Moving Beyond Batteries
- Nuclear Giant Exelon Wants to Invest in Wind Energy in Ohio
- Arby’s Reports on Corporate Social Responsibility Initiatives
- Navigant: Smart Meter Sector Has “Plateaued”
- Poll: 75% of Large U.S. Corporations Say They Will Buy Renewables Within 18 Months
- Duke Energy Progress Customers to See Fuel Cost-Recovery Savings
- Energy-as-a-Service: Charting a Path Through Complexity