How to Green Product Manufacturing
Manufacturing can cut CO2 emissions and costs by following five tips on making the product manufacturing process greener, reports Greener Ideal.
- Reduce waste: If possible, choose a material where you can reuse the waste material, either melting it down or using it in another product.
- Reduce product parts: This reduces the carbon footprint, requires less (or zero) adhesive, less manufacturing time and cuts molds required, quantity of materials and means quicker production time.
- Stay in house: Sourcing every part with the same company — preferable in the same country — reduces products’ air miles.
- Don’t over order: Overuse of electricity, materials and labor increases manufacturing costs and produces unnecessary carbon emissions.
- Choose recyclable or biodegradable materials: This also gives your product a competitive advantage.
Another way to green manufacturing: paperless manufacturing can improve a company’s business operations through higher quality, greater responsiveness to change and less waste, according to Tadeusz Dyduch senior product manager at Apriso, writing for IndustryWeek.
Image Credit: green industry via Shutterstock
Energy Manager News
- Lunera Intros Pathway and Entryway LED
- FPL to Buy and Phase Out Coal-Powered Plant, Saving Customers $129M
- Environmental, Health and Safety Software Moves Forward
- Johnson Controls: Interest, Investment in Energy Efficiency Up
- First-Ever Statewide Endorsement of Retail Supplier, by Delaware, Goes to Direct Energy
- Oberlin, Ohio, Ratepayers to Receive $2.2M in Rebates for Sale of RECs
- GM’s Renewable Efforts Build from the Ground Up
- Fairbanks Completes 4 Building Project in MA