P&G Uses More than 99% of Materials Entering Its Plants
More than 99.35% of all materials entering Procter & Gamble plants were used, either in products or through recycling, reuse, and conversion of waste to energy, according to the company’s 15th annual sustainability report. More than 50 of the companyâ€™s global sites achieved the goal of sending zero waste to landfill, including every site in Germany.
The P&G sustainability report says that since 2010, the company has reduced manufacturing waste by 56% per unit of production – more than double the companyâ€™s original goal.
Manufacturing waste was reduced to 0.65% of input materials in fiscal year 12/13. The company’s 2020 goal is to ensure manufacturing waste to landfill is less than 0.5% of input materials.
Since 2010, the company has reduced packaging by approximately 4.5% per consumer use. The reduction has come from projects such as product compactions, packaging light-weighting, use of new materials, and more efficient transport packaging. P&G’s waste reduction goal is 20% by 2020.
Unilever, another CPG giant, said earlier this year that more than half of the company’s factories achieved the goal of sending no waste to landfill in 2012, prompting the company to speed up by five years its goal of zero waste to landfill by 2020. By the end of 2015, Unileverâ€™s 252 factories worldwide will not sent any non-hazardous waste to landfill, the company announced in January.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Passive-House High-Rise to be Airtight
- Greensmith Offers â€˜Second Opinionâ€™ on Energy Storage Systems
- Commercial Tankless Water Heater Handles the Demands of Business
- Booz Allen, Siemens, Power Analytics Score 16 Microgrid Projects
- NH City to Save $500,000 Annually with LED Streetlights
- Australian College Uses Energy Storage
- LED Boosts Light Output 50%, Uses Existing Drivers
- Energesco Wins Energy Efficiency Contracts for Multifamily Buildings in Maryland