Coke, Ford, Nike Form Bioplastic Feedstock Alliance
Coca-Cola, Ford, Nike and five other major consumer brand companies along with World Wildlife Fund have formed the Bioplastic Feedstock Alliance (BFA) to support the development of plastics made from plant material and build a more sustainable future for the bioplastics industry.
Danone, H.J. Heinz, Nestle, Procter & Gamble and Unilever are the other founding BFA members.
The organizations say BFA’s primary focus will be on guiding the responsible selection and harvesting of feedstocks — such as sugar cane, corn, bulrush and switchgrass — used to make plastics from agricultural materials.
As companies increasingly turn to sustainable materials, the demand for bioplastic is growing.
Last week Coca-Cola and Ford partnered to use plant-based material as part of the interior fabric on a Ford Fusion Energi plug-in hybrid research vehicle. The fabric, made from Coke’s PlantBottle Technology, consists of up to 30 percent plant-based materials and covers seat cushions, seat backs, head restraints, door panel inserts and headliners. Heinz already uses the PlantBottle packaging for all its 20-ounce ketchup containers.
In June 2012 Coca-Cola, Ford, Heinz, Nike and Proctor & Gamble formed a strategic working group to accelerate the development and use of 100 percent plant-based PET materials and fiber in their products. Coke and six other businesses in April joined the Biotechnology Industry Organization, a group that represents companies developing innovative industrial biotechnology products and processes.
Energy Manager News
- IRS to Buildings Owners: “We’re From the Government and We’re Here to Help”
- CT Hospital, Soltage, Tenaska Unveil Solar Plant
- FAA Pays to Upgrade Airport Hangar Heating
- Maryland Electric Coops Mount FERC Challenge to Community Solar Garden Retail Prices
- SEIA Releases Updated Version of ‘Guide to Federal Tax Incentives’
- Energy Efficiency and Waste Disposal Grow Closer
- Worcester School Gets Grant to Complete LED Retrofit
- Cree Recalls Lamps