Jones Lang LaSalle Saves Money, Cuts E-Waste with MarkITx
Jones Lang LaSalle has teamed up with MarkITx to help the real estate brokerage firm and its clients realize capital and operating costs savings by using MarkITx’s exchange for enterprise IT hardware.
MarkITx is a marketplace for buying and selling used IT equipment. It will help Jones Lang LaSalle and its clients to reduce e-waste and offset the cost of new IT infrastructure by listing depreciated or obsolete equipment on the exchange and recouping the maximum value.
MarkITx leverages algorithms similar to those used by financial market exchanges to derive real-time market values and facilitate transactions, acting as a matchmaker rather than a markup middleman. Since the beginning of the year, daily trade value on the exchange is up 820 percent and trade volume has increased 15 times with more than 1,100 members signed up, the company says.
Jones Lang LaSalle has already traded its own IT equipment on the exchange and the Data Center team is helping clients list their inventory to determine the current market value, the firm says. MarkITx’s sustainable outlet for decommissioned IT equipment is an “asset to the bottom line,” says Matthew Carolan, managing director at Jones Lang LaSalle.
Jones Lang LaSalle’s Energy and Sustainability team is involved in more than 20,000 sustainability projects on an annual basis, including data center strategy planning, site due diligence/selection, facility options analysis, incentives planning and real estate representation, the firm says. These efforts have reduced the brokerage clients’ environmental footprint as well as its operating costs. The company says it reduced greenhouse gases by 913,000 tons and saved clients $176 million in energy costs in 2012 alone.
Energy Manager News
- Don’t Write Off Energy Efficiency. It’s Just about to Have Its Day.
- 44 Companies Apply to Manage OSU Energy
- ASHRAE High-Performance Building Design Professional Certification Earns ANSI Accreditation
- Energy Management Targets Commercial Real Estate
- Home Depot Hires HVAC Provider for South Arizona Stores
- Voluntary Agreement Covers Energy of Home Internet Equipment
- Community Microgrids for a Sustainable Future – TEDx Talk
- Cree Restructures LED Business in Aggressive Pricing Environment