Sustainability Assessment Firms Develop HPD Third-Party Verification
Seven product sustainability assessment companies have partnered with the Health Product Declaration Collaborative to develop an official protocol for third-party verification of Health Product Declarations (HPDs).
The companies are: GreenCE, GreenCircle, NSF International, PE International, SCS Global Services, ToxServices and UL Environment.
The organizations say a similar process is underway to define expectations for quality assurance consulting.
HPDs offers a framework for manufacturers to list product ingredients and associated health information.
“Establishing common criteria for third-party verification and quality assurance consulting is critical to advance the collective knowledge of the building industry, particularly as questions move up the supply chain,” says Eden Brukman, technical director of the HPD Collaborative.
Alpar Architectural Products, ASSA ABLOY Door Security Solutions, Bradley Corporation, Cosentino Group, Forbo Flooring Systems, GAF, Interface, Mohawk Group, Nydree Flooring, PROSOCO and Teknion are already working with one or more of the provisional third-party verifiers and quality assurance consultants so that, when released in Spring 2014, the official protocols will be based on functional experience and the best standard of practice.
This initial discovery phase of documenting the necessary methodology, credentials and training will run through February 2014. The collaborative is encouraging additional manufacturers to participate as well.
In May, the International Living Future Institute and the HPD Collaborative said they will align their building products standards to simplify disclosure requirements for manufacturers.
Energy Manager News
- Featured Project of the Year: Atlas Box Deploys Digital Lumens for Energy Intelligence
- Businesses Find that It’s Possible to Save Money–and the Environment
- Duquesne Light Building Experimental Microgrid
- Las Cruces Moving to LEDs, Solar
- Intelligence and Automation to Drive Growth of Smart Cities
- Energy Manager Today Product & Project of the Year Award Winners Announced
- Mobility, The IoT Gradually Transform HVAC
- Bill Gates-Led Group, India Establishing Energy Funds