Haworth to Source 100% Sustainable Wood by 2015
Furniture designer and manufacturer Haworth has set a goal to source 100 percent of the wood used in Haworth casegoods, systems, tables and storage products, globally, from sustainably managed forests by the end of 2015.
To verify the source of its wood materials, Haworth says it seeks third-party certifications from nonprofit organizations like the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) and the Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification (PEFC), and engages its suppliers, large and small.
For example, based in Lac-Mégantic, Québec, Tafisa manufactures particleboard and decorative thermo-fused laminate panels and is Haworth’s largest supplier of particleboard. In its manufacturing process, Tafisa, consumes 50 percent post-industrial wood fiber residues from local sawmills and 50 percent post-consumer recycled wood fiber from its re-wood program. This reprocesses solid wood from demolition, renovation and construction sites in major urban centers on the East Coast of the US.
To achieve its goal by the end of 2015, Haworth says it will continue to improve its FSC and PEFC product offering by removing exceptions and increasing surface options. The company will also continue to engage its supply chain and encourage them to become certified or expand their sustainable wood offering.
Last month the United States Green Building Council awarded LEED Gold status to Haworth’s showroom in Beijing’s Parkview Green building, making it the world’s first certified LEED project under the new LEED version 4 beta program.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Technology Creates a Brighter Future for Small and Mid-Sized Commercial Solar Investments
- Incentive Program Helps Companies Afford Energy Managers
- ARPA-E Issues Grants for Solar Modules
- C-PACE Financing Innovation to Help Connecticut Green Energy Sector
- Orion Wins School District Contracts, Increases Chances for Incentives
- Study: Smartest ‘Smart Building’ Owners Come from Retail, Manufacturing, Construction
- Low Cost IoT Solutions, Data Driven Analytics to Propel Energy Mgmt Market
- A Clean Energy Future in Sight