First Office Building Certified Under LEED v4 Operations and Maintenance
The 224,000-square-foot office building owned by Deutsche Asset & Wealth Management and managed by Transwestern is only the second project worldwide to obtain any of the 21 various rating system adaptations available under LEED v4, which officially launched last week.
The US Green Building Council (USGBC) simultaneously awarded the DC office building with LEED Gold certification for Existing Buildings: Operations and Maintenance through v2009, USGB’s most recent green building rating system prior to LEED v4.
Deutsche Asset & Wealth Management says it pursued the LEED certifications for 1800 K St. as part of a market-driven portfolio improvement program. Transwestern’s sustainability services team oversaw the certification process.
The building earned 64 points in the LEED v2009 and 52 points in the newer v4 system. Property improvements include:
- Installation of minimum efficiency rating value (MERV) 13 filters at all outdoor air intake locations;
- Upgrading all plumbing fixtures to meet WaterSense requirements;
- Achieving an Energy Star rating of 81;
- Offsetting 27 percent of electrical usage with sustainable power;
- Recycling 61 percent of office waste; and
- Implementing a sustainable purchasing program for all cleaning products and equipment.
Last month the USGBC awarded LEED Gold status to Haworth’s showroom in Beijing’s Parkview Green building, making it the world’s first certified LEED project under the new LEED v4 beta program.
Photo Credit: Loop.net
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Energy Storage in the Fast Lane
- Alberta Firm Aims for Energy Neutral Egg Laying Barn
- The Department of Energy Seeks to Improve the Better Buildings Challenge
- Behind the Meter: The Many Advantages of Energy Benchmarking
- Telecommunications Companies Upgrade Their Approaches to Energy
- Cutting Energy Use in Fire Stations
- Revolution Lighting Signs School Districts in NY, NJ
- Green Building Boom Is Pumping Billions into US Economy, Retrofits Are Fueling the Trend