First Office Building Certified Under LEED v4 Operations and Maintenance
The 224,000-square-foot office building owned by Deutsche Asset & Wealth Management and managed by Transwestern is only the second project worldwide to obtain any of the 21 various rating system adaptations available under LEED v4, which officially launched last week.
The US Green Building Council (USGBC) simultaneously awarded the DC office building with LEED Gold certification for Existing Buildings: Operations and Maintenance through v2009, USGBâ€™s most recent green building rating system prior to LEED v4.
Deutsche Asset & Wealth Management says it pursued the LEED certifications for 1800 K St. as part of a market-driven portfolio improvement program. Transwesternâ€™s sustainability services team oversaw the certification process.
The building earned 64 points in the LEED v2009 and 52 points in the newer v4 system. Property improvements include:
- Installation of minimum efficiency rating value (MERV) 13 filters at all outdoor air intake locations;
- Upgrading all plumbing fixtures to meet WaterSense requirements;
- Achieving an Energy Star rating of 81;
- Offsetting 27 percent of electrical usage with sustainable power;
- Recycling 61 percent of office waste; and
- Implementing a sustainable purchasing program for all cleaning products and equipment.
Last month the USGBC awarded LEED Gold status to Haworthâ€™s showroom in Beijingâ€™s Parkview Green building, making it the worldâ€™s first certified LEED project under the new LEED v4 beta program.
Photo Credit: Loop.net
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Con Edison Development Procures GE Energy Storage System
- Courthouse Replaces Oversized Boiler
- Indoor Farming Company Works on HVAC with PUE 1.0
- Toolkits Designed to Help Health Care Facilities Reduce Energy
- San Antonio Macyâ€™s Store Showcases Better Buildings Challenge Measures
- Natural Gas Gensets to Reach 27 GW of Installed Capacity by 2024
- Larson Releases a Solar Powered Generator with Manual Crank Mast
- Energy Efficiency in Food Service Businesses