Drinks Industry Awash with Sustainable Packaging
Budweiser, Veuve Clicquot and 360 Vodka are just some of the beverage companies pairing sustainable packaging with more traditional design, according to TheDrinksReport.com.
Along with many other industries, the alcohol business is feeling pressure to green its operations. Also in common with other industries, beverage makers are finding that there is little point in making a product sustainable if it isn’t desirable — and that’s where clever packaging comes in, according to the article.
German boxed-wine company Hauswine has put its product in a well-designed, mod-looking box that — while eliminating the use of heavy and energy intensive glass — also adds an element of class often lacking from traditional boxed-wine offerings, the article says.
Budweiser has teamed up with Toronto Football Club to design an aluminum bottle for its beer. Some 73 percent of aluminum is recycled globally and 67 percent of aluminum cans were recycled in 2012.
Meanwhile, 360 Vodka has almost gone full circle with its product, creating a swing-top bottle in the mold of some early beer bottles, that can be reused, but also making it out of PET. The recylable PET is lighter and more sustainable than its glass predecessor but maintains its distinctive shape, the article says.
Veuve Clicquot has created a 100 percent secondary pack for transportation made of potato starch. The secondary pack allows the champagne to look like “a beautiful product, elegantly designed” on the shelf while still being green.
Finally, Ippon Matsu beer created a swing-top bottle aimed at raising funds for the reconstruction of post 2011 tsunami Japan. All profits from the sale of the beer go back into reconstruction efforts in Japan.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Technology Creates a Brighter Future for Small and Mid-Sized Commercial Solar Investments
- Incentive Program Helps Companies Afford Energy Managers
- ARPA-E Issues Grants for Solar Modules
- C-PACE Financing Innovation to Help Connecticut Green Energy Sector
- Orion Wins School District Contracts, Increases Chances for Incentives
- Study: Smartest ‘Smart Building’ Owners Come from Retail, Manufacturing, Construction
- Low Cost IoT Solutions, Data Driven Analytics to Propel Energy Mgmt Market
- A Clean Energy Future in Sight