Staples Smashes Battery Recycling Goal
Staples Canada has diverted 71,370 kg of batteries from landfills so far in 2013, smashing the company’s goal of 60,000 kg this year.
Staples Canada partners with Call2Recycle to collect and recycle batteries (re-chargeable and alkaline). The program helped Staples Canada and its customers divert more than 23,630 kg of batteries from landfills in the third quarter of 2013, an increase of 44.3 percent over Q3 2012. During the second quarter of 2013, Staples Canada collected 23,880 kg of batteries and 23,860 kg in the first quarter.
Additionally, in the third quarter of 2013, the company collected 625,230 ink and toner cartridges and 790,000 ink and toner cartridges in the second quarter. The retailer has set a target to collect 5 million ink cartridges by Earth Day 2014.
In November, Staples launched an online ink and toner recycling program, an expansion of the existing in-store program.
Staples Canada, alongside its national electronics recycling partner, eCycle Solutions, collects electronics in more than 250 retail locations. With a goal to collect 3,000 metric tons of electronics this year, the retailer collect 908.73 metric tons of electronics in Q3 2013, an increase of 19.8 percent over Q3 2012. In the second quarter of 2013, Staples Canada customers helped the retailer collect 797.44 metric tons of electronics.
With partners TerraCycle and Newell Rubbermaid, Staples Canada takes back used writing instruments such as pens, pencils, markers and highlighters. During Q3 2013, the retailer collected 6,279 units. In the second quarter of 2013, it collected 3,083 units.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Energy Storage in the Fast Lane
- Alberta Firm Aims for Energy Neutral Egg Laying Barn
- The Department of Energy Seeks to Improve the Better Buildings Challenge
- Behind the Meter: The Many Advantages of Energy Benchmarking
- Telecommunications Companies Upgrade Their Approaches to Energy
- Cutting Energy Use in Fire Stations
- Revolution Lighting Signs School Districts in NY, NJ
- Green Building Boom Is Pumping Billions into US Economy, Retrofits Are Fueling the Trend