Ethanol Deposit Control Technology Receives Third US Patent
US Water has received its third US patent covering its pHytOUT technology for ethanol production.
The company says a common problem for ethanol producers is the formation of scale forming deposits in ethanol processing equipment. These deposits impede heat transfer and flow and compromise the proper operation of mechanical devices used in ethanol processing.
US Water’s pHytOUT technology is designed to control mineral deposit scaling, reducing back-end fouling and the need for sulfuric acid.
The technology described in patents 8,039,244, 8,415,137 and 8,609,399 improves ethanol quality, reduces acid costs and enhances plant safety, says Allan Bly, US Water CEO.
In addition to being safe for animal feed, pHytOUT deposit control technology provides cleaner heat transfer surfaces and extends the time between required cleaning, thus lowering energy demand, the company says.
Earlier this month the American Frozen Food Institute urged the EPA to enact its proposal to slash mandated corn ethanol production by 1.4 billion gallons in 2014 while the Biotechnology Industry Organization (BIO) is warning the agency that the Renewable Fuel Standard proposal will hurt the biofuels industry.
Also in December Delta Air Lines joined oil industry trade groups in fighting the US biofuel mandate. Through its refinery unit, Monroe Energy, Delta has filed a lawsuit in the US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit challenging the EPA’s 2013 renewable fuel requirements.
Energy Manager News
- Better Buildings, Better Plants: 12 Success Stories
- CA Governor Signs Bill Clarifying PACE Disclosures
- CA School District to Get 73% of Energy From Solar Carports
- Two Critical Questions to Ask Yourself About Your Current Energy Contract
- Pepco and Exelon Say Customers Have Benefitted$440 Million Since Merger
- ICC Issues Stringent Consumer Protection Rules For Retail Electric Suppliers
- Tesla’s Battery Storage Device Put to Use. Time to Exhale?
- Variable Speed Drives are a Powerful Efficiency Tool