Boeing Seeks Approval for Green Diesel for Flights
Green diesel production capacity already exists in the US, Europe and Singapore that could supply as much as 1 percent — about 600 million gallons — of global commercial jet fuel demand, Boeing says. The wholesale cost — about $3 a gallon with US government incentives — is competitive with petroleum jet fuel.
Boeing, the Federal Aviation Administration, engine manufacturers, green diesel producers and others in the aviation industry are compiling a report that they will submit to key stakeholders in the fuel approvals process. Boeing says these efforts follow its leadership in working with the aviation community in 2011 to include a blend of up to 50 percent aviation biofuel in international jet fuel specifications. The company is a member of the Sustainable Aviation Fuel Users Group, an industry working group that aims to accelerate the development and commercialization of aviation biofuels.
In September 2013, the FAA selected a team of universities to lead a new Air Transportation Center of Excellence (COE) that aims to benefit airlines by developing cleaner jet fuels and exploring other ways to meet next-generation air transportation environmental and energy goals. Boeing is a COE industry partner.
Also last year the USDA extended for five years its agreement to work with the FAA and commercial aviation partners, including Boeing, to help develop viable biofuels for the aviation industry.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Greenskies Enlarges Wesleyan University’s Microgrid
- Pacific Power Names Three wattsmart Business Partners of the Year
- 2014 Better Than 2013 for Distributed Wind Turbines, But Far Below 2012
- Making Efficiency Attractive to Investors
- Hydrogen from Landfill Powers Forklifts at BMW Plant
- Big Energy Savings for Hoke, N.C., Schools
- Energy Savings Performance Contracts Unlock Deep Savings
- Technology Creates a Brighter Future for Small and Mid-Sized Commercial Solar Investments