Standards & Certification Briefing: Concrete PCR, Free Range, LEED
The Carbon Leadership Forum has published a new version of the Product Category Rules for concrete, the document used for developing Environmental Product Declarations for concrete. Version 1.1 updates the original PCR, published in November 2012, by increasing the number of environmental impacts that must be reported in EPDs, and expanding the scope from North America to other countries. ASTM International and the National Ready Mixed Concrete Association have adopted the PCR for use in their EPD programs.
Humane Farm Animal Care has revised its Certified Humane standard for laying hens. The “Free Range” section of the standard is now divided into “Pasture Raised” and “Free Range.”
Engineering firm Presson Descon International has achieved ISO 14001 certification. TUV Austria Bureau of Inspection & Certification awarded the certification in Pakistan.
The Fox River Water Reclamation District has achieved LEED Silver certification for its new administrative office and laboratory in South Elgin, Ill. The building uses permeable pavers to control stormwater and engineered sunshades to control glare and solar heat gain, according to architects DLA.
Virginia State University’s Gateway Hall, a 135,000 sq ft student residence, has earned LEED Gold. More than 84 percent of the interior space has access to daylight, and more than 96 percent of construction waste was diverted from landfills.
Petrochemical company SEEF, which is partly owned by the Qatar government, has earned ISO 50001 energy management certification. The company is a leading producer of linear alkyl benzene in the region.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Energy Storage in the Fast Lane
- Alberta Firm Aims for Energy Neutral Egg Laying Barn
- The Department of Energy Seeks to Improve the Better Buildings Challenge
- Behind the Meter: The Many Advantages of Energy Benchmarking
- Telecommunications Companies Upgrade Their Approaches to Energy
- Cutting Energy Use in Fire Stations
- Revolution Lighting Signs School Districts in NY, NJ
- Green Building Boom Is Pumping Billions into US Economy, Retrofits Are Fueling the Trend