FTC Slaps Diaper Company for False Biodegradability Claims
The gDiapers diaper system consists of two pieces: the reusable outer shall, called gPants, and the inner liner, either a disposable pad (gRefills) or a reusable cloth insert.
The FTC complaint says gDiapers falsely or misleadingly represented that:
- gRefills and gWipes are biodegradable, meaning they will completely decompose within one year;
- gRefills and gWipes will biodegrade when trashed;
- gRefills will biodegrade when flushed;
- gRefills are “certified” biodegradable;
- no part of used gRefills will end up in a landfill or incinerator after disposal by trashing or flushing; and/or
- gDiapers are plastic free.
In truth, the FTC says, the products will not completely decompose in a year, are not biodegradable when trashed or flushed, do end up in a landfill and are not plastic free.
The company has agreed to a proposed settlement that says it neither admits nor denies the allegations in the FTC complaint. GDiapers agrees to stop making biodegradable claims unless it has “reliable scientific evidence” to support those claims. The company won’t pay a financial penalty unless it violates the settlement.
Late last year, the FTC took action against six companies — ECM Biofilms, American Plastic Manufacturing, Champ, Clear Choice Housewares, Carnie Cap and AJM Packaging — for making false environmental marketing claims. Of the six, one imposed a $450,000 civil penalty and five for the first time addressed deceptive biodegradable plastic claims.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Technology Creates a Brighter Future for Small and Mid-Sized Commercial Solar Investments
- Incentive Program Helps Companies Afford Energy Managers
- ARPA-E Issues Grants for Solar Modules
- C-PACE Financing Innovation to Help Connecticut Green Energy Sector
- Orion Wins School District Contracts, Increases Chances for Incentives
- Study: Smartest ‘Smart Building’ Owners Come from Retail, Manufacturing, Construction
- Low Cost IoT Solutions, Data Driven Analytics to Propel Energy Mgmt Market
- A Clean Energy Future in Sight