US Firms Dominate Sustainability Yearbook
Ten US-based companies including Abbott, Alcoa, Baker Hughes and Molson Coors have been awarded gold medals for sustainability practices in the RobecoSAM Sustainability Yearbook 2014. This places the US higher than any other country in the rankings.
Last year, the US topped other countries with nine gold-awarded companies that included repeat winners Alcoa and Molson Coors as well as Baxter International, PepsiCo and Waste Management.
Every year RobecoSAM assesses the sustainability performance of companies across 59 sectors. Each company is scored on up to 120 financially material economic, environmental, social and governance criteria specific to its own industry, with a focus on long-term value creation. Companies that make it into the yearbook are ranked as gold, silver or bronze and the top-performing firm from each of the 59 industries is awarded RobecoSAM Industry Leader.
RobecoSAM made it more challenging this year to qualify as a yearbook member. Companies now need to be in the top 15 percent of their industry and achieve a score within 30 percent of their industry leader’s score to make the cut.
Also this year, out of the largest 3,000 companies that were invited, 818 companies from 39 different countries participated with a 31 percent increase in participation from businesses in emerging markets, according to RobecoSAM.
South Korea’s award winners include personal products firm Amorepacific, Hyundai Engineering and Construction, KEPCO Plant Service & Engineering, KT Corp, Lotte Shopping, S-Oil, Samsung Electro-Mechanics and SK C&C.
Australia, Japan and France each have five gold-medal winning countries, followed by Switzerland and UK, each with four.
Energy Manager News
- Don’t Write Off Energy Efficiency. It’s Just about to Have Its Day.
- 44 Companies Apply to Manage OSU Energy
- ASHRAE High-Performance Building Design Professional Certification Earns ANSI Accreditation
- Energy Management Targets Commercial Real Estate
- Home Depot Hires HVAC Provider for South Arizona Stores
- Voluntary Agreement Covers Energy of Home Internet Equipment
- Community Microgrids for a Sustainable Future – TEDx Talk
- Cree Restructures LED Business in Aggressive Pricing Environment