Citgo Fined for Toxic Emissions
A jury convicted Citgo of illegally operating two tanks at its Corpus Christi refinery in 2007 following a three-week trial.
The refinery’s tanks emitted benzene and other chemicals, polluting the air and causing health and respiratory problems for nearby residents, according to the Department of Justice. The Justice Department also accused the company of violating the Migratory Bird Treaty Act.
In a statement, Citgo said that it corrected the problem at the tanks a decade ago.
Energy Manager News
- ERC: Price Benchmark Trends Week Ending June 24, 2016
- FERC Rules Against Tri-State Fee on Local Renewable Power
- Marin Clean Energy to Reduce Rates and Expand Service Area in September
- Drama Aside, Tesla’s Acquisition of SolarCity Makes Sense
- SunPower Solar Technology Breaks 24% Energy Efficiency Mark
- U.S. Data Centers Increasing Energy Efficiency
- A New Role for Mats: Promoting Sustainability
- Palmco to Refund $4.5M to New Jersey Consumers for Deceptive Sale Practices