Citgo Fined for Toxic Emissions
A jury convicted Citgo of illegally operating two tanks at its Corpus Christi refinery in 2007 following a three-week trial.
The refinery’s tanks emitted benzene and other chemicals, polluting the air and causing health and respiratory problems for nearby residents, according to the Department of Justice. The Justice Department also accused the company of violating the Migratory Bird Treaty Act.
In a statement, Citgo said that it corrected the problem at the tanks a decade ago.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Bridgewater, MA, Gets $231,000 Efficiency Grant
- Biomass Group Studies Role in Clean Power Plan
- Rockleigh Borough Installing LEDs, Low Energy AC
- PHG to Build Big Gasification Plant for Sevier Solid Waste
- Energy Profile of Commercial Buildings Changing
- Smart Meter Market Surging
- Modular Data Centers Cut Construction Costs
- Failure to Build Energy Infrastructure Could Cost New England $5.4B