Standards & Compliance Briefing: ANSI Type I Pilot, Green Building Addenda, Ethanol Blends
ANSI has created a pilot program to determine the eligibility of a Type I environmental labeling certification scheme and to assess the competence of eco-labeling certification bodies. The pilot follows ANSI’s recently sponsored market analysis, which found a growing demand for ISO-based accreditation of Type 1 environmental labeling. ANSI will be accepting applications for the new program until April 11.
Five proposed addenda to ANSI/ASHRAE/USGBC/IES Standard 189.1-2011, Standard for the Design of High-Performance, Green Buildings Except Low-Rise Residential Buildings, are open for public comment until March 9. They are:
- Addendum bg, which seeks to ensure ecosystem sustainability by revising the Native Plant definition and requiring a minimum area of landscape to be native plants.
- Addendum al, which will match requirements for opaque wall assemblies in Climate Zones 1 through 3 to ANSI/ASHRAE/IES 90.1-2013, Energy Standard for Buildings Except Low-Rise Residential Buildings.
- Addendum w, which provides bicycle parking design requirements.
- Addendum bk, which adds a fan-efficiency requirement that is slightly more stringent than the fan-efficiency section in ANSI/ASHRAE/IES 90.1-2013, Energy Standard for Buildings Except Low-Rise Residential Buildings.
- Addendum bm, which adds more building components and clarifies salvaged material requirements in Section 18.104.22.168 Recycled Content.
An ASTM work item details the latest proposed changes to ASTM D5543-09, Standard Test Methods for Low-Level Dissolved Oxygen in Water. These include an added keyword section, removed duplicative sections, and modified wording in Section 9 -Precautions.
In meetings to revise ASTM D5798-13a, Standard Specification for Ethanol Fuel Blends for Flexible-Fuel Automotive Spark-Ignition Engines, the organization has been working to address the difference between the units in the standard’s limits, and reporting units used in ASTM D7795, Standard Test Method for Acidity in Ethanol and Ethanol Blends by Titration.
Electronics recycling company Sims Recycling Solutions has achieved e-Stewards certification at all of its US processing sites and its Toronto plant, Storage and Destruction Business reports. The company’s two additional Canadian sites in Vancouver and Montreal are scheduled to be certified this summer, SRS says. Additional certifications maintained by SRS include Responsible Recycling (R2), ISO 9001 and 14001, OHSAS 18001 and Transported Asset Protection Association (TAPA).
Luxury inboard boat maker MasterCraft Boat Company has achieved global ISO 14001 environmental management, ISO 9001 quality management and OHSAS 18001 health and safety management certification from Alliance International.
Energy Manager News
- Don’t Write Off Energy Efficiency. It’s Just about to Have Its Day.
- 44 Companies Apply to Manage OSU Energy
- ASHRAE High-Performance Building Design Professional Certification Earns ANSI Accreditation
- Energy Management Targets Commercial Real Estate
- Home Depot Hires HVAC Provider for South Arizona Stores
- Voluntary Agreement Covers Energy of Home Internet Equipment
- Community Microgrids for a Sustainable Future – TEDx Talk
- Cree Restructures LED Business in Aggressive Pricing Environment