China, US, Canada Lead Global CCS
Large-scale carbon capture and storage (CCS) projects worldwide are set to make significant progress this year, including two projects that will begin operations in North America. The first large-scale CCS projects in the power sector, SaskPower’s Boundary Dam project in Canada and Southern Company’s Kemper County project in the US are nearing operation.
The Global Status of CCS: February 2014 report was released in Brussels by the Global CCS Institute. The institute says CCS must be introduced globally to meet global 2°C warming targets.
These are significant, the institute says, as they will show CCS operating at commercial scale in the power sector. Meanwhile, the Middle East has the world’s first large-scale CCS project in the iron and steel sector moving into construction, while China has doubled the number of large-scale CCS projects in the pipeline to 12 since 2011.
The report shows steady progress for CCS worldwide, but there has been a significant slowdown in Europe, where four CCS projects have been cancelled or put on hold.
. The report found that:
• To date there are 21 large-scale projects in operation or construction, capturing up to 40 million metric tons of CO2 per annum.
• Six projects in advanced stages of development planning may take a final investment decision during 2014.
• The majority of the 21 projects in operation or under construction thus far are in the US and Canada, and are associated with CO2-EOR.
• China has doubled the number of CCS projects since 2011, with 12 large-scale CCS projects.
• The world’s first two power sector projects with CCS will begin operation in North America in 2014.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Tesla Becoming a Major Player in the Energy Storage Market
- Federal Agencies Must Use eProject Builder for All ESPC Projects
- Refrigeration Battery Works as Energy Storage
- 400 kW Fuel Cell System Powers Comcast Facility
- City Picks UtilityTRX for Utility Bill Management
- FridgeWize Unveils HVAC EC Motors
- Aztec AMC Modular HVAC system Reduces Data Center Cooling Costs
- Verismic Does Remote PC Power Management