RGGI Revenues to Encourage $2 bn in Savings
The Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative (RGGI) states released a report that claims $700 million in proceeds from CO2Â allowance auctions will return more than $2 billion in lifetime energy bill savings to the nine states in the compact.
The report summarizes the lifetime impact of consumer, economic, and environmental investments made from 2009 to 2012 using the auction proceeds.Â The report analyzed the lifetime impact of RGGI proceed investments made in the nine RGGI states â€“ Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont.
The report, Regional Investment of RGGI CO2 Allowance Proceeds, 2012,Â estimates that RGGI proceeds spurred investments in energy efficiency, clean and renewable energy, and other strategic energy programs that benefit more than 3 million participating households and more than 12,000 businesses in the region.
States in the region have used more than $700 million of RGGI proceeds to invest in energy efficiency, clean and renewable energy, direct energy bill assistance, and greenhouse gas abatement programs.
These RGGI proceed investments are projected to offset the need for approximately 8.5 million MWh of electricity generation, save more than 37 million mmBTU of fossil fuels, and avoid the release of approximately 8 million short tons of CO2 pollution into the atmosphere over their lifetime.
As detailed in the report, the RGGI states have invested auction proceeds in a wide variety of strategic energy programs, including:
- Connecticutâ€™s Small Business Energy Advantage Program
- The Delaware Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP)
- Efficiency Maineâ€™s Business Incentive Program
- Marylandâ€™s EmPOWERing Clean Communities
- Massachusettsâ€™ Green Communities Designation and Grant Program
- The New Hampshire Pay for Performance Program (NH P4P)
- New Yorkâ€™s Cleaner, Greener Communities
- Rhode Islandâ€™s Large Business Revolving Loan Fund
- Efficiency Vermontâ€™s Home Performance with ENERGY STARÂ®
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Con Edison Development Procures GE Energy Storage System
- Courthouse Replaces Oversized Boiler
- Indoor Farming Company Works on HVAC with PUE 1.0
- Toolkits Designed to Help Health Care Facilities Reduce Energy
- San Antonio Macyâ€™s Store Showcases Better Buildings Challenge Measures
- Natural Gas Gensets to Reach 27 GW of Installed Capacity by 2024
- Larson Releases a Solar Powered Generator with Manual Crank Mast
- Energy Efficiency in Food Service Businesses