Smartcool Software Hits 18% Energy Savings Mark
Smartcool develops energy efficiency solutions for refrigeration and air conditioning using its own software products. Initial testing of Smartcool’s software on this new application demonstrated 18 percent energy savings on the compressor in a Carrier refrigeration unit. The savings translates to a return on investment well under 12 months for customers, Smartcool says.
Smartcool’s ECO3 hardware platform is used to deliver the company’s software algorithms in this new application. The company plans to complete more tests on the over-the-road refrigerated trailers in the second quarter of 2014. A number of pilot installations will follow, the company says.
If successful, it could lead the development of a new hardware platform powered by Smartcool’s software, designed specifically for the refrigerated transportation sector. The refrigeration transportation sector includes over-the-road trailers, box trucks, sea-going containers and rail containers.
Globally, there are more than 5.5 million refrigerated trucks and trailers and an additional 2 million refrigerated sea-going containers, according to Smartcool.
In November, Starbucks and Marks & Spencer began testing delivery fleets equipped with a refrigeration system that generates zero emissions compared with 63.4 kilograms per day for an equivalent diesel-mechanical unit.
Energy Manager News
- Clauses to Consider in Green Leases
- Bahama Yacht Club to Generate Power from Solid Waste
- Duke Energy, USF Launch Solar Battery Research Initiative
- Energy Storage Helps Hotel Reduce Demand Charges by 10%
- EU Smart Campus Pilot Achieves 30% Energy Savings
- Uline to Operate 130 GenDrive Fuel Cell Units from Plug Power
- Los Angeles Shopping Center Installs 504 kW Solar
- SustainCo Wins $575,000 Contract for Energy Management Controls